Monday, July 14, 2014

EXERCISING CAUTION


I would eat two steaks in one sitting
I remember when I was so young I was moving. Any direction you pointed me in, I could handle it! “Joe, go upstairs and… “ was no challenge, I could do it. Getting out of bed, I’d just pop up and my feet hit the ground running. Even my mind, before resorting to this blogue was constantly being exercised.

My how I’ve changed.

Let’s face it folks, we all get old, and for good reason, we watch and listen to the younger generation and want to get out of here as soon as possible. They are inventing things that make life easy: except we are so set in our ways it ain’t easy! Life is presenting us with a whole new set of challenges. It all started with my smart phone. Once I got one of those things, I knew my time on Earth was up, that I would be just going through the motions from here on in.

Have you been on all fours lately?

move my what?
The other day I was cleaning out the filter in my pool, that means getting on all four limbs and working. First the knees start to hurt and then the back. Then it is time to get up! OH MY GOD! Get up! That now requires planning, and once you get into position, you still have to hope you go up OK. It reminds me of the old days when they televised the rockets into outer space. Gasses spewing from the rear we hope it all works and that the lift-off is A-OK!

Suddenly, I don’t give a crap about how fast I am going on the road in my car. I decided that if they wish to contend with a cranky old man, then bring it on. I see these young people, both sexes drive up behind me and want to nudge me out of their way, and if they get to close, I exercise caution and slow down even more. This notifies them that I am in control, and when I say we go faster, then: we go faster, or just blow caution to the wind and wait until we get to a point where you can pass me.

The other day #2 Son needed help moving a piece of furniture down the stairs. I got on one end and he got on the other, in the old days I’d be hauling the thing down by myself. Today I feel with my feet, slowly moving it down each step, praying I don’t trip on myself. There are more things laying on the floor in my house now, things that I will eventually get to but they will wait. Why? Because I dropped them and don’t feel like bending down to pick them up if I don’t want to. I figure I’ll probably drop something else nearby, and when I’m down there, I pick up the first object too.

No, I am not lazy: I do get out of bed. It is just that I now practice ‘Economy of motion’. My doctor, Dr. Haveaheart once asked me if I exercised. I said yes, caution. He said I guess that is a ‘No’. I guess he’s right.

1 comment:

Diana said...

You're a riot, Joseph! But oh, so true. It seems the mind is still on "fast mode".....but the body just sometimes doesn't want to comply!! LOL!! Can totally relate! We gotta keep it movin' , becauseI if ya stop.....WHO KNOWS!! :-)