Sunday, July 20, 2014

STRIKING DAYS


Getting to work everyday in the 1970’s required taking the Long Island Railroad to and from New York City. It was a little tough because you got up early in the pre-dawn and raced to find a parking space in the parking lot of the train station, if you used a major station. I used both the quiet little hamlet of Bellport, and when I knew I was going to be late, the Patchogue R.R. Station. I got a container of coffee and maybe something to eat, and then a newspaper to cover my fingers in newsprint, found a seat and waited for someone who was weight challenged to find me along the way and sit next to or on top of me.

I would read the NY Times until I got close to Jamaica Station, where I would then nap until getting to Hunters Point Avenue where I got a subway train (No. 7, Flushing Line) switched at Grand Central for the E or F train to Lexington Avenue. Climbing the subway steps to the street at 50th and Lexington Avenue, I would walk the few blocks, dodging pedestrian and car traffic alike until I reached my building on 54th and Lexington Avenue. As I walked this route, I would look for a ‘nut for the day’, some individual who demonstrated why he and I should both be put away where we wouldn’t harm ourselves. Usually he was a religious nutcase handing out pamphlets about eternal doom and my need for salvation. I of course was NEVER disappointed.

Then every so many years a railroad strike would loom and a need for alternate plans were set in motion. Being how I was a friendly chap, I made friends on the railroad easily, and along with male friends got into a car pool. We each took turns driving, and along with three others, poured into my car at least once a week. Driving a 4 and ½ seat Camaro, was crowded but no one got pregnant. It made for passing time and mileage, even if we sat still, well… fun! Cigars and cigarettes were lit for the long haul and never did anyone complain. These rail strikes usually occurred in late fall and would occasionally slide into the New Year.

This led to new friends: new social commitments and I loved the camaraderie. But everything we did became a way to link, certain expressions, inside jokes and rip roaring sidesplitting stories became a norm. I would listen to the media and feel sorry for those commuters who struggled, had a hard time of it and did it alone. In fact, when the strike was over, I for one missed the fun, but we grew as a group on the same train car every day on our way to work.

 Birth Injury Guide

No comments: