Friday, May 17, 2013

HER CHILDREN NEVER GREW UP!


Yes, it is true: my mother’s children never grew up!

May 10th was Mom’s birthday and along with Tessie my older sister (much older) I went to visit her. Picking Tessie my older sister (much older) up from her home, off we went to find Mom feeling great and expecting us. We stopped along the way in Bellport Village at a little Italian restaurant and bought some lunch to bring over to help us celebrate the occasion.

I enter the once land of: cookies, cake and great meals, and the land of wooden spoons and stern warnings about how I was definitely going to turn out with a birthday card in my hand,

Fingering her wooden spoon I kept my distance after kissing her hello. Tessie my older sister (much older), in a vain attempt to make me look bad gave Mom her birthday card first, but I was waiting with mine! Mom took out her magnifying glass and read the whole card. The problem was Tessie my older sister (much older), gave Mom the same card I did!

Reading slowly each and every word, with great care and emoting some emotion, I became a little jealous. After praising Tessie my older sister (much older) for her card, she looked at me and I handed her my duplicate birthday card.

“Now Mom, you have to read my card too, all of it!”

I hear a snicker from you know who.

“Never mind Ma, you really don’t have to read the same thing over again.”

“Oh! Good! Put these two cards on the little server in the other room.” as she hands me the two identical cards. I look at them standing up side-by-side and decide we need to differentiate the two, so I take Tessie my older sister’s (much older) card and set it down upside down, just to show there is a difference.

We visit, have lunch and are ready to go. I get up and go into the other room where I set up the cards and notice that Tessie my older sister (much older) has right sided her card and turned mine upside down! What a sneak! I rectify the situation and we leave, without Tessie my older sister (much older) seeing me do it.
 
I wait until we are driving down the street with the car in motion and:

“By the way, fixed it.”

Tessie: “Fixed what?”

“The card, you are now back where you should be, UPSIDE DOWN!”

Tessie: “You know I hate you, you do know that, right?”

“Of course.”

This kind of behavior have been going on all my life, maybe that is why I love her.




No comments: