Friday, May 31, 2013

THE WANNA-BE-BANK & TRUSS CO.

It has been a while since I memorialized any visits made to THE WANNA-BE-BANK & TRUSS CO., so today I will thrill you with my latest adventure.

Now my visit was to take care of some paperwork that needed a notary, and to convert some loose change into cash, so I could feel flush and single once more!

Upon entering the place, I immediately look straight ahead for my favorite teller, who hides behind the teller wall and pretends she’s busy. You know her as Princess Pat of Foxwoods Points. I wave and proceed to the proceeds machine were the conversion of coin to cash miraculously transpire and I will be baptized in green currency with the backing of the U.S. Treasury.
Don't try to take Princess Pat's cake either!
Like the gas station before I came, this too is occupied by a woman who got there just in the nick of time to annoy and frustrate me with her speed of which she is conducting her transaction. When it is finally over, I move forward and deposit some change and wind up with exactly .05¢ more than I spent for gas to get there. Now I have to cash in the receipt for $22.05 from the teller and decide I will go to my old friend Pat.

Approaching the teller bank (The only thing I can seriously call a bank in there) Pat immediately slips her box of Bon-Bons under the counter and greets me with a smile.

“Is this a real bank?” I enquire.

Pat: “Where? Oh, well you want money, no?”

“Is it REAL money” I continue my inquest.

“Nooo, it’s Monopoly money, what do you expect?”

I hand over my receipt from the change machine and she asks me my account number. Being how I am married to one who is gainfully employed as a ‘platform’ person, she does all or most of my banking, so I don’t know the number. She can and does handle money very well, except when asking me for change of large bills, and her not having enough to cover it and so will leave me even shorter in the transaction!

“So how’s Bill? (Her poor beleaguered husband) I ask Pat, continuing my relentless pursuit of the truth.

She scrunches her face and looks lost. “Bill who”

“You know, ‘What’s his name?”

Pat: “Oh Him, HAHA!”

TLW with her greeting face
Giving up I take my cash and instead of feeling flush, I feel flushed., and so go visit TLW (The Little Woman) to get my papers notarized.

Once again I am greeted with a smile and TLW suddenly turns business-like.

“You have an appointment?”

Me: “Yes”

“How can we help you?”

Me: “I need these papers notarized.” (Just like I rehearsed all morning)

“Uh-huh, are you a member?”

One of the things that happens when I go to the Wanna-Be-Bank & Truss Co. is that I feel like a fish out of water. People see me and immediately warn TLW of my arrival, or at the very least look her way. They stare at her with pity as they should, being married to me as they wonder if I am there to buy her lunch. This is a precedent I started a while back and it is the question they ask whether it be 8:00 am, noon or 5:00 pm!

The lovely Cynthia being awarded for having to deal with me!
We go to the Notary, a very nice lady named Cynthia who notarizes my papers and suddenly I am arguing with TLW! What are we arguing about: my shopping for a printer and where I should look for it. Nothing major, no lawyers needed, but a “discussion” if you will.

But it seems that that morning I forgot to put on my wedding band and watch, they are items that I usually take off at night and don’t wear during the day if I don’t go anywhere, but when I do, I put them on. I’m not a fancy guy, never cared for jewelry but if I go places the wedding band in particular I will put on. Well wouldn’t you know it, one of the ladies at The Wanna-Be-Bank & Truss Co. mentioned to TLW that I wasn’t wearing it!



1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I kind of like the old school banks where that smiling, middle-aged lady was always waiting behind the teller counter. When (and if) you can find a bank branch anymore, all the workers are 16 years old and come complete with attitude.