Tuesday, May 14, 2013

POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE


“Like a proud music that draws men on to die
Madly upon the spears in martial ecstasy,
A measure that sets heaven in all their veins
And iron in their hands.
I hear the Nation march
Beneath her ensign as an eagle's wing;
O'er shield and sheeted *targe
The banners of my faith most gaily swing;
Moving to victory with solemn noise,
With worship and with conquest, and the voice of myriads.”

The March of Glory by: Lord de Tabley

*An Old English form of ‘shield’.

Whenever I hear ‘Pomp And Circumstance’ played, I choke up. It is the music of triumph and the signal of adulthood and freedom. It brings back memories for me, the hard times I went through to get a college education under the worst and most trying conditions, and in the end no one could take it away from me, my education, my diploma, my sense of personal triumph.


About to get her reward!
Recently I had the privilege of attending TLC (The Lovely Courtney’s) graduation ceremony from Woodbury University. Once again, like so many times in the past, at my children’s graduations and my own, I swelled up with pride for the graduate in tears of joy, respect and recognition of a job well done. Courtney’s was no less and maybe it mirrored to some degree my own story.

Sir Edward Elgar wrote a series of military marches and part of them is the music you are familiar with. Courtney’s graduation as a Summa Cum Laude made the music all the more appropriate to me, knowing how hard she did work, how much sacrifice she put in, how dedicated she will be in her chosen field.

She never doubted it!
When I was in college, although I dated, I was more driven to graduate, and so I made the effort almost every waking hour. My Aunt Marie, who I stayed with for a few semesters, used to say they were going to create a museum on my career, the drawing board that I chained myself to, the endless hours of drawing, reading and studying not only art and design courses, but the math, history and science and language courses that I force fed myself. I even took a course in taxation and public speaking!

Proud Poppa Roger!
As I watched Courtney move across the stage, a look of happiness consuming her face, I snuck a peek at her Dad, and my son, and realized they must be graduating too, along with Courtney. I speak with pride when I say she is a hard worker, and I told her once she worked too hard, but that is who she is, that is what focus is, that is why I admire her so.

God gives us all talents. What we choose to do with them is up to us. Courtney has many talents, but will never wear them out! She will be successful whatever she does, wherever she goes and will be welcomed in the business world.

I struggled to get through college: a severe hearing loss will do that, I had no money, had to work two jobs and never took a day off because of it. I had to hitchhike to get from the railroad stations to the campus because I couldn’t afford a car or a dorm room (There were some cold days, very cold days!). I was in an automobile accident as a passenger and it almost cost me my life! If it weren’t for my aunt giving me free room and board that last year, who knows where I’d be today. So that fate filled day one June when I stepped to the march of Pomp and Circumstance, my family out in the audience, I knew I had earned the diploma, and exactly a year later to the day, I married the perfect woman.

Hey! Cut that out, I got kids reading this!
So Courtney, be proud of yourself, you deserve to be. Never compromise your values, never give up, never doubt yourself, there is no one but you to make your life happy. And like your great commencement speech said, you need to both work and be happy for success, and that you do so well.

No comments: