Wednesday, June 17, 2009

MAKING LIFE ADJUSTMENTS.


I have decided to make an adjustment in my life. Something I always wanted to do, I will try. There is a program in my church called Parish Outreach, where one can volunteer to visit the sick or dying. One goes and visits, and it is very simple.

I’m not one of those holier than thou types. God only knows what a bum I really am, but this is an opportunity of a lifetime to ease a little suffering. I think of people who I’ve met, people that I‘ve like or loved, people who were all alone, people dying or wasting away in old age homes, people without hope, whether they know it or not. Maybe I can coax a smile on a face, or just give them some company. They won’t owe me anything, just their trust and friendship.

Life is a great teacher. It taught me that in spite of what I don’t have, what I do have far out weights it. I love to meet people, learn about their lives, and maybe pick up a hint or two about how to live mine.

Frankly, I’m not sure if they the people of Parish Outreach will want me. I hope so, I could use the chance to give a little, and not worry about the little things in life like what the Mets did last night. I can tell you this, if there is a chance, and I do what I hope to do, I will, without naming names, give you a little of that lesson from my standpoint in the blogue. I still plan to give you guys the scoop, when I recognize it and scoop it, or when I don’t recognize it, and step in it! But this outreach program will pop up every once in a while.

Please remember all those that need our prayers, including my brother-in-law, John.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

It's a good thing you're doing Joe. Too often in life we look at those better off than us and think: why not me. Sometimes we need to look at those worse off and remember to thank God for all we have. This is a nice way to give back.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing to do Joe. You have the warmest and funniest heart I've known. I know you will be able to give people comfort and smiles.

I've been so busy I have to catch up on your blogs! We were in Montauk over the weekend, funny that you'd have that picture on today's blog.

-jan/PCH