Tuesday, June 16, 2009

TWENTY YEARS OF SERVICE!

It was twenty years ago, that I stepped to the plate at my daughter’s agency, and said; “Yes!” Twenty years later, I am still eager to help and hope I have another twenty years at the least.

It all started out quite innocently on my part. I never sought to become a member of the Board of Directors of NYSARC Suffolk AHRC, but was nominated, then interviewed. It seems all I wanted to do was help the agency, by doing whatever art work they might have needed. I recall TLW (The Little Woman) saying to me that if I were elected to the Board, she would be proud of me. I always need TLW to be proud of me.

Twenty years later, I still find it a privilege to be a member of the board. I have met some wonderful people along the way, as a board member, chairperson of various committees, and president of the board. The honor has always been mine, and that they are recognizing MY twenty years, astonishes me and makes me feel honored and humbled. Believe me, with my big mouth, it is a wonder they don’t just move the meetings to another location and ‘forget’ to tell me where.

It is something to meet people that are totally dedicated to their work. You can have your titles, diplomas, and degrees, but you are not the professional I see every time I visit the agency. From the day care people, underpaid and understaffed, but greatly appreciated, to the instructors, medical people and office staff, the devotion and professionalism are better than anything I have ever seen. They enable the physically and mentally disabled, to have meaningful lives. The program directors, the people who oversee the quality of care given, are without a doubt, the finest anywhere. The deputy executive directors are not only administrators, but God given to those they care for, and those they truly cherish.

There is one man, Joe P.Mammolito, leader and honest to goodness executive director’s executive director, that oversees everything. Without him, the agency would not have had the success that it has. The man is caring, professional, and brilliant in his duties, and consistent in his devotion.

Finally, there are my fellow board members. Ordinary people like me, but smart, dedicated overseers, of a multi-million dollar agency, who help direct the agency under the guidance of the executive director.

But I don’t need recognition for what I do. I am grateful that the board members listen to my ramblings, and my jokes. That they stay in the same room with me, allow me to speak and give me the courtesy of their interest is more that I should ask for. That the staff listens to me when I offer something, and that they give me the opportunity to work on occasion with the beautiful people we serve, my people.

Thank you, one and all from the bottom of my heart.

http://www.ahrcsuffolk.org/

Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, including my brother-in-law, John.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My office has now decided that you should be called "TBM" (the Blog Man)

Luv V & P and LIEBG

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Congrats on 20 years of service. It's great that parents like you have stepped up so that people with disabilities can live a good life. Even though we've never met, I know you've done it all of love for your daughter. God Bless.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Thank you, all.