Tuesday, October 13, 2009

OBAMA GETS THE NOBEL

Unless you are in a coma, I’m sure you are aware that the President received the Nobel Peace Prize, and has decided to accept it. I find it interesting that the pundits are frowning. They say that now that he has won it, President Obama has to live up to it! The thinking is that it will weigh heavily around his neck!

Whether you voted for him or not, you must feel some pride in the fact that an American, any American, let alone a standing President has won such an honor! But it DOES carry a burden. I know just how he feels!

A number of years ago, I was the recipient of an award, or recognition for my service to the agency that I serve on the board for. They the board, recognized my devotion to the agency over the years. What does that mean?

It means I can’t slack off! I can’t take a night off without feeling guilty, whether or not I have a legitimate excuse or not. It means I have to make my voice sound loud and clear, as I have already done. But what happens when I decide I can’t do it anymore?

Like the President, I got to where I am with the help of people that supported me. My wife, and family, my fellow board members and the wonderful staff all gave me a helping hand. The award I won should really go to them: they were behind it. If there was any success, they orchestrated it: I only facilitated it, with their help.

There are only two times when I don’t want to be in the spot light. One, when I am recognized for doing some good, and when I am making a prison break!

No comments: