Saturday, October 03, 2009

THE BUMMER SUMMER

It came and went! The summer of ’09: was the shortest in terms of heat, or the longest spring of ’09. One way or another, where were the crazy, hazy days of summer?

What was it Mark Twain said?
“The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”

Now he could claim New York, too!

I spent hundreds of dollars on my pool, and I had a crew come and open, then close it. Chemicals are stockpiled in my shed and garage, I spent the whole summer trying to eradicate the green fungus that seemed to stay all summer! I spent two whole days in the pool: that was it!

Time to sell the old place and move on to a quiet 2-bedroom condo. No more maintenance or upkeep, no more pools, and just a central air-conditioned place to live. Give me the comforts of leisure, and someone else work.

Mind you, I mentioned often how I hate the heat and humidity of summer, how I dread it coming. But even I need a little summer. Is the summer of ’09 an aberration? Did we screw up the universe somehow?

My Mother-in-law, used to think that since man landed on the moon, the whole Earth system is screwed up! I used to laugh at that notion, but maybe I should pause a little to think about it.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Smart move Joe! Buy a townhouse or condo! You will be so glad you did! Less work, money and more time for fun!

Love you!
Mary Ann

Fran said...

Buy a condo with a pool! Problem solved! We love ours! My daughter Jean-Marie calls the condo complex "Wrinkle Village". Lots of happy people reside at Wrinkle Village!!! Have a great weekend.
Love,
Fran