Tuesday, October 20, 2009

IT’S A DOG’S LIFE!

The other day I decided to go for a walk. I went into the hall closet and as I was reaching for my baseball cap, I looked across the hall, past the kitchen and into the den. There, lying on a chair with the saddest of looks was Happy my cocker spaniel. Her big brown eyes just stared at me and I felt very sad. Feeling guilty that she was just looking at me with forlorn eyes, I reached for her leash and waved it at her. After a bit of waving, she jumped out of her chair, and came over to me. Attaching her, out we went.

Happy is like me, she has to piddle every time she goes out! Well, she lefty her scent right in my driveway, and then decided to unload a small package at the foot of my driveway, in the street! I grabbed her and stuck her in my truck, and decided I would go to the lake, and sit and watch nature at it’s declining best in autumn.

As I drove, I noticed that Happy was starting to shake, and became very nervous and quiet, getting down on the seat and not looking out. Strange! Then it occurred to me: she thought I was taking her someplace to leave her for a few days, and she didn’t want to go, maybe to Kozy Noses for a boarding, or Pretty Puppy, for a hair do and grooming.

Once we reached the lake, (Lake Ronkonkoma), she perked up. And watched the mallards flying into the beach, the terns massing at the water’s edge, and this little girl who was sitting with her dad in the next car. Suddenly, she was her old self again!

AS I sat and watched, I took out a cigar and just leaned back and relaxed. Me and my dog and a cigar and all that was missing was a beer! Happy stood on my lap with her front paws, and together we were one. Beautiful feeling!

She is getting old. Soon, we will not have her anymore, and I will miss her. She nags me to give her lettuce at night, she tricks me constantly into giving her treats, she is bossy, making me carry her up and down the steps, but she is my dog. She plays on my guilt, and she loves me. I really spoil her!

That old dog is smart!

No comments: