Friday, November 05, 2010

IT’S GETTING THERE THAT HURTS!


As you may have noticed, I’m getting a little older. It seems that everything is in total confusion and disarray!

I tried to get out of bed this morning, and something was holding me back. Gravity! Yes, that silly invisible thing we all studied way back in 3rd grade, was acting up! I got down on my knees to search for my slippers, and my knees immediately fell asleep. I think that part of my problem is that TLW (The Little Woman) was afraid to wake me this morning, in case I was dead. I figure, if I don’t move, give me five minutes more and then call the coroner.

Speaking of which: I read this morning about a 95 year-old man who died recently, and I’m thinking his kids are in their mid-sixties at least. Wow! The kids are old! Heck, I see a 50 year-old and think: What’s that kid doing here?

One of my habits is I go down to the kitchen, pour myself a cup of coffee, and then go into my recliner and try to talk to TLW. The trouble is, after a night’s sleep, I immediately fall asleep again.

When you are married as long as I am, things like dating are in the distant past. It seems however; part of me still wants to date! Take for instance my back, it went out on me last night.

And have you noticed how you now have less hearing, less sight, and less taste buds? Notice you now have more pain!

My memory is still good. My problem lies with the fact that I can’t retain what is in my memory, can’t recall names or words that sit on the tip of my tongue, and TLW gets angry when I try to spit them off to see what they are!

I recall standing up once, and looking down at my toes; now I can’t see them.

But most of all, when I have somewhere to go, the thought of getting up, remembering where the place is or why I’m going is when all my physical disabilities seem to act up all at once! I used to tell myself: “When I’m done with this, I’ll do that.”

‘That’ never comes!

I was in my closet the other day, and I noticed a suit. I thought, that suit is what I wore to my niece’s wedding! SHE’S BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS!

TLW is always on me to throw away old clothes, and I don’t: too many good memories from them.

If I could only remember what those memories are. If I do throw them out, I’ll remember!

No comments: