Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I’M ENCOURAGED!

Sometimes I shouldn’t read the newspapers! There are things in there that just make my blood boil.

The other day I picked up Newsday and there in the sports section of the newspaper, was an article about Jose Reyes, a baseball player for the New York Mets. The article was about his future with the Mets and it also mentioned what he was doing with a crowd of kids in one of the Old Navy stores.

Surrounded by about 20 children, he was in the store to encourage classroom attendance. If the kids went to school, they get a shopping spree these days. I read the article, and then re-read it, because I didn’t think I read it right the first time! Somewhere since my parents let me out of the house, to be on my own, and today, something terrible has happened to the children we are raising today.

I always thought the point of growing up was to be responsible for oneself: taking initiatives, and doing what is right. Apparently, we can now reward for what we should be doing!

Isn’t it the responsibility for the parent to see that the child attends classes? Isn’t the responsibility of the school to ensure that the child answers “Here” when called for attendance? Should we reward them for coming home too? Maybe a big trophy for eating breakfast should be awarded? How about a big spending spree for being civil?

If this is right, what I want to know is where my kid’s rewards are, and mine for that matter? They went to school and their reward was the sense of self-accomplishment. My reward for attending class was I didn’t meet the business end of a wooden spoon, wielded by Mom, or the back of Dad’s hand across my skull. Believe me, that is rewarding!

But I am encouraged, after all, it can’t get any worse, or can it?

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

On the plus side it's nice to see anyone kids look up to selling them on education. For many of these kids, that's their only ticket out of the poverty/welfare cycle. I hope it does some good 'cause I'm tired of paying for all the free riders in our society.