Sunday, November 21, 2010

WHERE’S MY FORTURNE???


Recently I had lunch with an old friend of mine from my PCH days. Every month, we go to this one Chinese restaurant and, as they say: “Pig out”.

This one place called Cashgone Nhow is an all you can eat type. You have all seen them and probably have visited a few. You go, the waiter seats you, and at the same time asks what you want to drink. You tell him and go to the food bars.

Years ago when you went to Chinese food establishments, they usually had a host or hostess who took you to your table and you got settled, he came back and took a drink order, then when the drinks were ready you were given a menu.

The menus went from the basic simple fare of chow mien or egg fu yong to the exotic twice-cooked beef or bird’s nest soup. Today, that is all gone or is quickly going. Now you get all the soups line up for you to help yourself and as much as you like can be ladle into a bowl or two. The same with all the other courses or dishes, and includes the desserts that way, too.

One of the trends I notice is non-Chinese food is now served, along with the Chinese culinary delights. Calamari, breaded chicken, French pastries and God forbid, even pizza!

But the thing that bothers me the most is my fortune cookie. Have you read your fortune cookie lately?

Here is a sample of two “fortunes” found in fortune cookies.

1.) “Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.”

And

2.) “Beware the fury of patient man.”

Do either of these two sound like fortunes to you?

I want my money back, or give me a real fortune. Something I can bite into.

“Large amounts of money will be given to you along with Kim Basinger.”

Now that is a fortune. Nice, simple, happy and talk about good fortune.

What is this world coming too?

My buddy thinks that the Chinese are afraid they will get sued if they predict something, and someone gets hurt because of it!

No comments: