Friday, November 18, 2011

IT RARELY HAPPENS, BUT WHEN IT DOES


The evening started out predictably, TLW’s (The Little Woman) panic about the traffic into the valet parking area, entering the huge entry hall to Mamma Lombardi’s Villa, the signing in at the host desk and meeting people that I know and love. To add to the experience, this time around, Kathy a secretary at the agency offered me a boutonnière. If you don’t hear well, it sounds like: “Do you want a boot in the rear?” After opting out for the flower on the lapel, they make me a full colonel by attaching a nametag that is engraved with my name on it, a nice touch. The 61st AHRC Suffolk Candlelight Ball was in full swing and looking pretty.

The cocktail hour was actually a buffet dinner for all intents and purposes, followed by the dinner itself. There is where it all went down hill!

The wait staff has a lot of people to deal with, about 500 is my guess, they have a ton of people at over 60 tables and the noise levels from conversations are high. I’m offered a choice of fish, chicken or steak, I ask for the steak, medium, and from there on, I am annoyed.

Out comes the main course, and everyone in the room is being served, as I wait my turn. The waitress brings a steak out for someone, and as she goes to put it down, it literally flips out of her hands and into the plate of the person sitting next to him, a big laugh is had by all. Still no dinner for me! I look around: all 500 are busily eating, cutting and looking at me. No dinner! TLW looks nervous, like I would get angry or something, and I feel like I want to yell at someone, but keep my cool. Finally someone comes scooting out of the kitchen with my meal, places it in front of me and I cut into the steak, and it is raw!

Where’s that knucklehead waitress, I think. I can’t get anyone’s attention, finally I get up and nail a waitress in her tracks, explain my disappointment in failing to understand ‘raw’ from ‘medium’ and she repeats what I’m telling her. Everyone is almost done or is done when my dinner finally arrives! TLW suggests I ask for eggs too, since I am eating so late it could be my early breakfast of steak and eggs! It is almost 11:00 P.M. before I get my dinner!

My question: Why the hell, with 500 people in the place, do they manage to find ME to do stupid things?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO #3 SISTER, MARYANN!
She is probably the adopted one I was telling you about.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

She knew it would make a good blog!

Anonymous said...

Your brother-in-law had a full pitcher of ice water dumped in his lap while at a restaurant. I had a plate of pasta and sauce dropped on the back of my dress while sitting at the main table for a company dinner. Welcome to the club.
SS-I-L