Saturday, October 27, 2012

PLAY DATES AND TURKEY BACON


My good buddy and fellow blogger from the old sod: Bushwick, Brooklyn, Mr. Jim Pantaleno and I seem to agree on the same things. It seems that life is ending as we know it. The generation of today does not look beyond the 1980’s and knows very little about life prior to it.

I know that today’s generation is buried in electronics, walking and driving with these I-phones in their hands, not looking where they are going and not caring. I remember sitting behind someone in church, a father with 2 kids during the service texting and checking his e-mails.

When I was growing up, mom threw me out of the house on Saturday mornings and said not to comeback until I either joined the army or got married, and I was only 5 at the time! She expected me to play with my friends and stay out of trouble.

I went down stairs and sat on my stoop, and waited for someone to come along. We would then plan our day, no one arranging these sissy play dates, no yuppy mommy to make arrangements.

A play date was something that happened when you saw a friend and you played. This sissy stuff is locking in the mindless child of today into doing nothing if there are no batteries to recharge, and a parent arranging for a meeting time where the parents sit and chat while the child is made to play at a certain time for a certain period of time, making for a imagination-less child.

Playing was an adventure in itself, we didn’t know what we would do, but we knew we would have fun doing it. There were games with set rules that we could play or games that we made up as we went. Imagination was never in short supply, and our parents stayed out of it.
 
It’s funny, I don’t see any pick-up games of basketball, baseball or football being played in the streets, the kids are all inside playing with their games. When they do play, there is some adult supervising their play-how sad.

I say take away the electronics and throw the kids outside, let’s get some life back into these little sissies.


1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Sadly Joe, the times when you could just let your kids out to play by themselves have changed. There seem to be more predators around and parents need to be careful. I think the kids suffer for this in so many ways, but better safe than sorry. Have a safe trip home.