Saturday, March 23, 2013

BABY SISTERS COME IN ALL SIZES!


There are some things in life that we tend to take for granted, and that is too bad, our freedoms, our religious freedoms to worship or not, our friends and finally and most importantly our families.

Joanne (Joy-Anna),  Theresa (Tessie), Fran, (Nippy) and Mary Ann (Mariooch)
Me, I’m lucky, I have 4 very beautiful sisters, each is very different and each is very smart. All have contributed greatly to my life, and I hope they know I love them all for just being there if I need them, and if they need me.
Saint Don of Uyeno

One in particular is my baby sister: Joanne. Joanne was like a scooter in those early days growing up as the baby of the family. Mom and Dad spoiled her and made her the center of our life, as she was a change of life baby. Running and scooting around, doing things such as baton twirling, she has more trophies than the New York Yankees, Dallas Cowboys and Montreal Canadians combined! The long hours of helping her make the toss, spin and catch routine that she mastered so well, photographing all those parades as she strutted down the Main Streets of various towns on St. Patrick’s Days, Fourth of Julys and Memorial Days! Whenever I watched or looked through the camera’s eye, I was honestly convinced she was the best.

For some reason, teaching must run in our veins, since we have so many in the family. Joanne was no exception to that last sentence, becoming a teacher herself and eventually an assistant principle. She worked with special needs kids and with the whole system, equally well, equally dedicated, and I think she could have hung on and become the Principle. Whenever we have a family get-together, she makes me raise my hand first if I want to leave the room!
Kim & David

Dax
She had two beautiful children in David and Sara, and two equally beautiful grandchildren in Daxton and Alexa. She married a saint, St Donald of Uyeno. (pronounced: way-no)

Today is her birthday: she is one year closer to surpassing me in age (I write this blogue, shut up) and soon will be older than me as it should be.

Alexa and Sara
My grandmother would come out from Brooklyn on occasion, (my Dad’s mother) and after she would unload her two shopping bags, one with the wine, salami and provolone, and one of her medicines, she would look for the baby, as she called her “Joy-Ann” and say: “Whereza Joy-Anna?” Ah, grandma, I miss you!

But so today I lift a glass of good cheer: a Jack Daniels Manhattan, and toast the wonderful luck we all have IN KNOWING AND LOVING that little witch!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOANNE!

No comments: