Wednesday, March 27, 2013

MARCH 27, A HOLIDAY!


We all celebrate holidays, we take the day off, we hang a flag or make a big meal, and sometimes all three. All our holidays are either religious or national, but I contend we should have personal holidays, like an anniversary or a birthday or someone else’s for that matter.


With this in mind, I am proposing ‘Tessie, my older sister (much older) birthday Day’! I know it is a mouth full, but she is always using hers, so why not.

Old Tess and I go back a ways, way back. When mom had had it, and wanted to get away form me for a short respite, she would summon Tessie, my older sister (much older) and send her to a store, usually in Manhattan and ordered that she take me too, that’s why mom made the big bucks, she was a master planner.

Tessie, my older sister (much older) had a great influence on me, teaching me things like peeling off the paint from the window sill and dropping it three stories on someone’s head, or taking the box of candy called ‘Red Hots’, and dropping them through the stairwell banisters to hit the bottom floor and ‘ping’, causing Lena, the superintendent of the building to come out of her apartment and yell at us with her Italian accent!
 
I guess what I’m saying is that SHE: Tessie, my older sister (much older) made what I was, a big pain in the butt, of which I am eternally grateful. If it weren’t for her, I would have been a good child, obedient, docile and quiet. Instead, she saved me from all that and led me on to my life of well… fun.

Today is her birthday, she is getting older then her younger brother, (much younger): me, and will have to deal with what it is. Mom always liked her, because she took me to Piken Avenue, Manhattan and school and out of mom’s hair, so mom too will celebrate.

But old Tess, my older sister (much older) got her licks in too, often destroying a whole play area as she gleefully did the vacuuming on a Saturday morning while I was playing. Killing her was out of the question since she was under orders to vacuum, and had some balloons that we could fill with water and drop on people’s head as they walked by our apartment.

My children are unaware of the things she Tessie, my older sister (much older) taught me, and would be surprised, but I had to come clean for Tessie, my older sister (much older) sake.

So: without further ado.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TESSIE!
Love,
Your younger brother (much younger)



No comments: