Thursday, March 28, 2013

DANCING UNDER THE BED!

-->
Every year my daughter’s agency has what is called a ‘Candlelight Ball’. It is a special celebration and formal black tie affair. It has things like a silent auction, 50/50 raffle and an honoree that we praise to the heavens and thank for his or her generosity, dedication and devotion to the agency. Corporations are awarded thank you of some kind and I think you get the picture. When I was president of the organization I used to wear a tuxedo to the event. After doing that a few times, people were tipping me thinking I was the waiter, so now I wear a suit.


Our last scheduled ball was to be in late October. Early on October 29, Hurricane Sandy curved north-northwest and then moved ashore in New Jersey, just to the northeast of Atlantic City, as a post-tropical cyclone with hurricane-force winds.  Without tickets to the Candlelight Ball, it headed right to the venue and all day we wondered what would be. Anticipating an incredible cocktail hour, spiked with great dishes that defied you to sit through the full-course dinner that was to come and the endless small talk. What was: was a cancellation of the ball! A new date was needed. We pointed our collective noses toward February 9th as the new target date, crossing our fingers that we didn’t get snowed out.

The morning dawned crisp, cold and grey, with little misty like snowflakes that gradually grew and an avalanche of emails stating to hold on, don’t polish those dancing shoes just yet, we will try to do it and let’s see how bad it is getting. We should have crossed our fingers, toes and instead crossed our eyes: as the snow grew worse by the hour! Once again, we called off the ball!

Did you ever hear the phrase: “I give up!” or have you ever been exasperated?

One more date was scheduled for March. March 21 would be the new target date, the next attempt at the Candlelight Ball. This time we decided, to prevent a major storm, we would schedule a scaled down version of the big event. Maybe keep it within the norms of just a bad weather day and not a major storm, maybe winds under 25 mph or snow under 6 inches.

March 21st dawned cold, crisp and grey, and as the day progressed, so did the snow showers. As I emerged from under my bed to see if I should dress or not for the ‘ball’, I watched with amazement as the snow started to build up on my lawn, shrubs and car, it was a ‘why not?’ kind of experience. But because it WAS scaled down, all out weather objectives were achieved!

Going to the event that evening, I sat there and felt like I had a fight with someone bigger and stronger than me, but that I did not quit, and fought on until I survived. I was battered and bruised, but I was still standing! I guess the three Jack Daniels Manhattans helped me along.

It was: “Welcome to LAST YEAR”S Candlelight Ball. That is OK, I was a little younger then.

No comments: