Monday, March 11, 2013

IT NEVER FAILS


Between the weather forecasters and the people in my neighborhood, I think I’ll go crazy. On Wednesday the 6th they the forecasters predicted a Nor’easter (Why it needs to be called that it that way I’ll never figure out) to hit the area around noon. They also took up all the time on the TV about it. Going on like it is the end of the world, predicting it would be horrible or at least deadly, if not serious.

There is one forecaster I can’t stand because he thinks the news show is about him. He does an overly dramatic presentation with orchestrated body movements and thinks he is the star of the show. I won’t mention his name but his initials are John Eliott’s!

The “Storm Watch” goes on all of the channels, no matter if it is cable or not. The excitement of a storm coming, the fact that they are all agog about nothing, or “Little ado about nothing” to create more excitement than is needed.

I recall up to my teen years, that when a hurricane came, we all took note including Mr. Weatherbee and never gave it more thought than it was worth. There were no ‘alerts’ or ‘breaking news’ to interfere with the programming, and be it a blizzard or hurricane, life went on.

There is really no other news to report! If we didn’t have these storms to give us a look at a sander or a flooded basement or even a eroded shoreline, they would have to report about the death of Chavez more often, running the same story over and over , again!

Then there are the real geniuses in my neighborhood. What do people do when a storm comes? They buy milk! All the friggin milk! Who the hell is going to drink all that milk that even if you lost your power, you wouldn’t drink it all because you can’t open your refrigerator door and lose the cold, thus making the milk go bad.

OK, so while they are out buying milk, what else do they do, why fill up their tank! During the last blizzard I found this particularly amusing because they fill up and then get themselves snowed in their driveways!

I was in my local ‘Handy Pantry’ convenience store on the 6th, and people are buying up all the cold cuts, tons of Kaiser rolls and salads and of course milk. Man does not live on cold cuts alone.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I notice the weather folks talk a lot lately about the "regional" forecast. That way if it does what they predicted anywhere in a six-state radius, they consider themselves to have been correct. Mopes.