Wednesday, March 13, 2013

CHANGING PERSONAL HERITAGE


A nice Norvegian boy like me
Recently I did what is called a ‘Walk-through’ of a home for people with developmental disabilities. The Board of Directors which orchestrates these things requires that all homes in our keeping be inspected by us to insure that the staff is indeed doing their jobs, that the residents have a happy, safe, clean and healthy home in which they are entitled to.

Going into one of these homes is always a joy in that we can witness first-hand how well we are succeeding in our mission, and get to know the residents at the same time. For instance, I met a young lady standing at her TV with a ‘wii’ dancing to the animated dancer on the screen. Once I met a resident bowling to the same contraption! I really have to get myself one someday.

One of the procedures in the walk-through is to interview a resident in private to allow them to speak up if they have any issues. I ask a set of routine questions and they answer them. Sometimes the answers are not what you expect, but for the most part you get answers.

As I was leaving the residence after my walk-through, some of the residents were arriving home form their day-program and were being wheeled into the house in wheel chairs as many are medically fragile. It is not hard opening your heart up to them and discovering what the human spirit is all about.

There in a wheel chair sat a lady with a beautiful round face in a red winter coat smiling at me. She said something indistinguishable for my poor hearing and the house parent translated.

“What do you ask everyone when you meet them, go ahead you can ask Mr. DelBloggolo, what do you ask?”

“Are you Norwegian?”

Hearing this I couldn't help but answer: “Yes, as long as I am in this house, I'm Norwegian! That smile was worth the whole amount of time I spent there.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I see Governor Christie is pushing for more group homes in New Jersey to get developmentally disabled people our of larger, more impersonal institutional settings. Seems like a much better approach.