Thursday, August 07, 2014

SUCCESS IS IN THE AYE OF THE BEHOLDEN


Last Sunday Dear Reader, I wrote about my quest to become a food critic (WANTED: FOOD CRITQUE JOB). Well, wouldn’t you know it, as soon as it was published, I read it and got immediate results! As sure as God has created the universe, as Man has trekked on the moon, and the sun rises and sets: I got hungry again!

God's failure
Measuring success is complicated, and on occasion, even God might make a mistake. Reference Mark Twain on the Human Race that went something like this: “God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey.” I’m sure Twain would agree with me today that God changed his mind by now!
Why God will change his mind.

There is of course that old adage we all fall back on when we fail: “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know” and we can walk away failures, but shrug it off feeling good as well, because like millions of others: we don’t know the right people, we don’t have an in, so failure is OK.

Success is not a word to define, and is only useful if you live a short life, because often, success can come back and bite you in the ass. Take for instance all the divorced couples, who suited and courted each other, then successfully married, only to be paying a divorce lawyer years later. Of course with this kind of thinking: nothing is a success, we even die at some point.

Coming from a poor family, I learned as a child that if you got lucky or successful, some one will make you pay for it or try to take it away from you, and sometimes not celebrating is a good idea, you want to tip toe pass the graveyard.

For me, success can be measured from day to day. If I get up in the morning: success! If I get to sleep all night: success! I had my three squares today: wow, I’m really successful!

Maybe I'll spring for a new pair.
Someone once asked: What is the oldest thing you have successfully kept?
Answer: my underwear from high school, and I’d prove it except I’m wearing them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to wash those boxers! I can smell you from here!(they had boxer shorts back when you went to Flintstone High school??)

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

yes

Anonymous said...

Hey! It's better than going "commando!!)

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Thank you, I think?