Saturday, August 30, 2014

WHEN YOU CAN’T SLEEP

-->
We all have a night where we can’t fall asleep. We look at the clock and it is 2:00 am, we toss and turn, we look again it is 2:15 am, so we shuffle the covers and beat the pillow and seek that special spot that will liberate us from the torture, but to no avail. We look for another position, maybe even another spot in the bed,: still it is saying 2:45 am!

You think, and that us when you are finished! Once the mind takes over, the need to go to the bathroom, or get up and walk around in the dark becomes part of the attempt to fall asleep, but it is only 3:00 am! You think: “Did I have coffee or some food that is doing this?” You panic, you have somewhere to go and you don’t want to sleep through the wake time, or you will be late!

You look again and it is 3:30 and wonder, where did that 30 minutes go? Something is wrong. Suddenly it is time to get up, and guess what, you have fallen asleep, found that position and the right spot, want to and can stay there for eternity, but you have to get up! You figure if it is possible to find some time during the day where you will be able to knock off a few zzzz’s, not long, just enough to take off the edge of the sleepless night you just had.

Good night!
All this happened to me recently, however I wasn’t too upset, I had nowhere I needed to go, and can easily find time for a nap. It was not always like that, when I worked these were scenes that occurred regularly, in fact, with such regularity I took it in stride. A big presentation, an important meeting or a deadline to meet a prepaid press run, all figured into sleepless nights.

But I wonder why on God’s Earth do I have sleepless nights when I have no real worries? Did I go to bed too early? Did I eat or drink something I shouldn’t have? There are nights when a reoccurring theme presents itself, I fixate on it and don’t get to sleep.

My question is this dear reader: does anyone know of a cure for all this nonsense?


9 comments:

Diana said...

Well, we know it's not menopause!! (LOL !) , so without a couple of stiff drinks or sleep medication, it's a tough thing to deal with. (kidding). Everybody is different, so it could be food, maybe not, could be "over thinking" could be "went to bed too early! " I don't think anybody really knows!! But I can relate .......you can fall asleep, but the problem is STAYING asleep..........Sorry couldn't help. (I keep thinking, maybe I should just get a night time job! I'm up anyway! LOL!!) Good luck Joseph!

Anonymous said...

Could be your just an asshole???

Avid reader said...

I hope that was a joke, Anonymous. Would hate to think there is such a shallow person out there.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Dear Anonymous

Let me say that I haven’t forgotten you, no I’ve been living life, unlike yourself, so I don’t deal with gutter matters until everything else worthwhile is done.

For the sake of convenience, I will shorten ‘Anonymous’ to ‘Anus’. It has all the letters that Anonymous has, and like your integrity, less. Since you are not man enough to sign your name, I guess I have to deal with ‘Anonymous’.

Anus, let me just say that I would never try to upstage you, what you called me is something you have proven about yourself by using it. If you step back for a moment, you will notice there is more than just my asshole there: there is the rest of me. The advantages of stepping back will also help you breathe better and will probably improve your diet too. Things will start smelling so much better and maybe you see that your personality will improve too! Try it, besides it will help when I sit down. It is a scientific fact that the anus is the first thing that develops in the womb, so obviously you had an arrested development once you started out as just an anus and so remain so. Gee, I guess that name I gave you really does make sense! Well, good for me.

Judging from your tone, might I suggest that when you get this note, and find someone on his or her coffee break, who will read it to you right before your meds and that person has to go back to the other patients. This may help also since once those meds kick in, and you should be on them, you can then ask the reader to tell you what any of the big words I use mean.

I hope I didn’t offend you, because that would be mean, after all a sick person like yourself, who thinks I’m an asshole and then goes ahead and reads the blog would take that time to read it. Could it be like I suggest, there is only one (1) asshole in the room?

Thank you for reading, and please take those meds.

By the way Anus, if you send me another note like you did, I will delete it and you will have to start sending them to yourself for the pleasure of using the word. However if I’m in the mood and you do send one, I just might help you embarrass yourself once again.

Have a good day, and remember, try to step back, I’d like to sit down.

Anonymous said...

I'm am using anonymous right now because this is my first time reading your blog and maybe I shouldn't "but in"..but don't you think calling someone an anus and other names is just a bit too much? You write a blog and the reader is allowed to make a comment, you should expect that..Your character is not represented very well by such remarks,a simple "Ouch!that hurt" tongue in cheek would suffice..Obviously this guy is just trying to get your goat and you gave it to him!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

That was a comment that was meant to hurt. I show no quarter. Anyone can make comments, just be nice, you can be critical, but asshole? I don't think so. Using Anonymous to hurt some one is cowardly, and that should be what he gets. If calling me an asshole without provocation from me, is just stupid, and he shouldn't be allowed to get away with that.

Anonymous said...

"Whisper words of wisdom..let it be..."

Avid reader said...

Don't let them kid you Joe, these 2" anonymous" people are one in the same. And you're right, anyone is entitled to their opinion on any thing you write, but there's no reason to comment back with names and nasty comments. If you don't like what you read, " Mr. anonymous", don't comment. VERY SIMPLE! You keep up the good work Joe. You have a LOT of readers, like myself, that enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

That was either Peggy or her kid. The one who tried to blame her previous comments on me, but had the syntax of a six uear old writing in crayon. I thought your response was perfectly hilarious. Well thought out. Dad, did she beg for attention like this in high school too? Being a semi decent looking person works until about 40, but in the meantime you have to cultivate an actual personality so people will actually like you once your superficial looks fade, otherwise you end up a miserable old woman who obsesses over people and attacks them on their blogs without any provocation.