Monday, September 02, 2019

THE JOYS OF DEATH!


Being how I spent most of my career in the direct mail business, writing and designing mailing to sell I felt that I had sold just about everything there is to sell. From earthmoving equipment to jewelry and insurance, coins and books and whatever else was out there, I sold it. Subscriptions to magazines and clubs to royal commemoratives and politicians, I sold it and sold it well. I was paid for my talents and expertise well, it all seemed second nature to me.

Often I get solicitations in my mailbox that I examine and judge, it is my habit and it comes naturally to me. Some of it is excellent and some not so. Then recently I received the illustrated mailer you see.

An ‘Open House’ for a mausoleum was the product. And, you can get a $500 Gift Card with a purchase! I was “Cordially Invited” to come to the open house. Somehow, this concept of an open house at a mausoleum just seemed somewhat macabre and unsettling.

In direct mail first impressions are critical. If you don’t connect at first glance chances are you will never connect, and I see no connection in this instance.

“Only 10% Down Payment Required!”


I guess you can pay it off after you get drawer space. Once you visit the “Open House” do you get to view the space, kind of lie down in it, you know, just to get the feel?

As for me, give me the old-fashioned way, in the ground under an elm tree, but plant me standing up so that if I hear any kind of movement, I can climb out and get the “HELL” away quickly!

No comments: