Wednesday, September 18, 2019

IT’S WHAT I’LL MISS

Fall is here in New York soon, and if and when I move to Burbank to be with my beautiful grandchildren, one of the things I will miss is the autumn shower of color-filled trees as they turn.

When I worked I usually took a vacation in late August until Labor Day on the following Tuesday, I could sense the change in the air. There seemed to be an air of sadness coupled with the joyful relief from the humidity that pervaded the summer air and somehow a renewal for the zest of life I always found exciting from fall.

Driving to Port Washington and later Hicksville, commuter traffic was especially heavy on the Tuesday following the Labor Day Monday holiday. Workers returning to their city jobs and homes were on the roads as they tried to squeeze every last moment from their Hamptons retreat, angling for space on the Long Island Expressway from the students of all the local colleges.

Anticipation was usually high for the coming holidays that were lined up, the packing away of the grill and bar-b-q for the winter meals that somehow suggested comfort food. Halloween and Thanksgiving were the pre-cursor to the big one, Christmas and Chanukah My favorite was Christmas Eve and the big fish dinner, a marathon of endless eating and drinking, supported by conversation and laughter. Once the family got too big it lost its luster since we weren’t sitting at the same table anymore and there was a buffet line set up, taking the true family spirit out of it all.

If there was one thing I hated about coming back to work after the vacation, it was the amount of inter-office mail, and emails I had to answer or attend to, meetings I needed to catch up to progress made when I was gone.

No comments: