Friday, September 27, 2019

WHERE DID THE ROMANCE GO?

Being out of step with the world is nothing new for me. I have found that trying to keep up has become a challenge, fighting to understand what the hell everyone is talking or thinking about is getting harder to do every day.

Case in point: I have two sons that use social media, one is on all of them it seems, such as Facebook and Tweeter or that other one with the camera, Instant Gram. They reference things that I never heard of, have humor I just don’t get and can do things long past my ability. I think the malady is called ‘Old Age’.

The other day I went to the movies and sat in a newly renovated theater. In the old days when I was hip and with it, you sat with your date and it was easy to place your arm around the back of her chair and slowly allow it to drop down onto her shoulder. This was the Bonneville Sault Flats of romance for me. If I didn’t get a dirty look from her my arm stayed in that position until it fell asleep, where it suddenly and involuntarily rose slowly while pumping pain. It was romantic if things got a little hotter with a kiss.

Sitting in the dark waiting for the endless commercials and coming attractions to end I noticed how far apart my seat was from my wife’s. Each seat is now a recliner with large wide arms to hold drinks in carved out holes and even a swinging small tabletop to pile snacks! Where is the romance supposed to come from?

All you phony sanctimonious people out there who think you don’t do this stuff (romance) are either never been kissed or never showed affection. If I wanted to put my arm around my wife I would have had to get on my knees and lean way over just to reach her, and after a while, my knees would have fallen asleep!

Let’s quit fooling around with the seating, bring them closer so we lovers can fool around once more and romance is brought back to the cinema.

No comments: