Saturday, September 21, 2019

BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK

I have been watching the talking heads on TV, especially MSNBC and FOX News. One of the constants being used by many of the guests is: “To tell the truth”, a phrase I find funny to hear. I often wonder how often they use that phrase in the course of their day and if they need to.

One would think that saying something like “To tell the truth” is an admission of the fact that the speaker doesn’t always tell the truth. Since the occasion warrants him to now tell the truth, should I not believe everything he or she has said prior?

“Be it as it may” is interesting in that when someone says it, sometimes its meant to say listen to me, forget everything else you heard. The phrase seems to me to be a long way to say the word ‘But’.

I won’t comment on the word ‘irregardless’. This word is a non-word an attempt to sound like the speaker has a large vocabulary. Does ‘irregardless’ mean do not regard what we are not regarding? Is there any forethought in our conversations or are we too quick to want to hear what we sound like? ‘Irregardless’ I’m not going to worry about it anymore.

“All things being equal” is interesting. The phrase itself would help my bank account greatly! I could then be as rich as Getty or as bankrupt as Trump! This should allow me to join a nice country club or get primo seating at a fancy restaurant.

OK, some of this is taken out of context but the words put together just seem unnatural.


No comments: