Monday, April 03, 2006

CONTEST SHOWS, WHEN DO THESE FADS GO AWAY?

You can’t imagine how sick and tired I am of the American Idol type of shows that seem to have taken over the universe. American Idol has set a trend that is lasting too long, and is being imitated by others, down to the “We’ll announce the winner right after the break’, to the long dramatic pauses between sentences by the MC.

And why should we have these shows anyway? Watching TV is not my favorite pastime, and these kinds of shows make it more so. Now if you want good TV, watch Boston Legal, or Desperate Housewives. Now there are two great shows, with tongue in cheek kind of humor. Too bad I have no real idea what the hell “Tongue in cheek really means.”

Perhaps the best TV ever is Seinfeld. Without a doubt, it set a new culture, creating new phrases in our everyday vocabulary, “yada, yada, yada.” And like this blog, about absolute nothing. Actually, every time I hear “yada, yada, yada.”, I think of a dear old friend of mine in my professional life – Ronne Freedman. She started using it in the ninety’s when we both worked at Publishers Clearing House. I think she could have easily have fitted in with Jerry, George and crowd. But then again, they were selfish, and she’s not. More on Ronne the fashionista at a later date.

One of the most offensive kinds of programming is the old situation comedy. There are a few that I enjoyed, going back to Lucy and the Honeymooners, and of course “All In The Family.” Seinfeld and Raymond come to mind, and of course M.A.S.H. I think situation comedy should rely less on flippant humor, and more on reality.

Here's an idea, a situation comedy based on reality!

No comments: