Friday, April 28, 2006

ONCE THEY PLAYED OUR MUSIC

Often I go through a publication called “DMNews” a newspaper of direct, database and internet marketing. One of the features I read is the “Agency Beat” to see if there is anyone I know on the rise. It struck me that there isn’t, and hasn’t been for a while. It makes me realize that perhaps the industry is starting to pass me by.

I remember when the orchestra played to my and my colleague’s dance steps, for as long as we liked. I remember the exuberance of new and exciting careers, bounded only by our imagination and luck. I recall all the “old-timers” and young “mavericks,” and thinking “they were my competition.”

Going back over the years, the excitement of seeing my work in public places, in mailboxes, and on TV got my blood stewing to do more. Being impressed by who I met and who I broke bread with gave me the excitement that spiced my career. Even some of the less favorable characters added spice to my life. Riding the Long Island Rail Road after a long day, or the Long Island Expressway on the way home from work, churning over the days events, thinking of new ideas, and sharing them with my poor wife who had to listen to me every night. Looking back, I recall all the major corporations I worked for: Ford, GE, Time, NFL Enterprises, American Airlines etc. makes me kind of proud. Proud too, that I introduced my son to the industry, where he went on to do his own thing, appreciating the art of ideas and communication.

I can really say that I am happy with what I have achieved, I even have an idea patented with the US patent office through my very first company – Lawrence G. Chait and Company for a catalog-ordering device I came up with.

One of the things that stand out in my mind is my first job. I was working for Lawrence G. Chait and Company as a “Graphic Designer”, with the hopes of becoming an “Art Director.” I was on the top floor of a NYC skyscraper on Manhattan Island, in a corner office, my desk overlooking both into the Bronx and west toward New Jersey. I was very excited to be there, and all I could hear was a popular song that went “If my friends could see me now, that old gang of mine, eating fancy foods and drinking fancy wines.” It was my first day on the job, and my boss, Jack Stern had taken me to a very nice French restaurant to celebrate my arrival.

Having a good life is all one should ask for, hope for a great life, and live the best life possible. I am lucky in many ways: I found a great wife, have great kids, and love them all. I was blessed with great sisters, and some really great in-laws, both my wife’s family and whom they married, and those who married my sisters. I have had some tragedy, but there are many triumphs too.

Soon it will be time too shut the lights, and close the door to my career, I will lose a little of who I am, and I will have to find new ways too express myself. I hope to contribute to the world on a little higher plain. I want to be remembered for just one thing, that I contributed something, and maybe someday I’ll find that I did.

No comments: