Tuesday, April 25, 2006

MY MAN BILL,

I have a neighbor, and his name is Bill. Why do I tell you this? Bill is more than just a neighbor. Bill is just a genuine guy, very real, quick to help a neighbor, and a great role model for kids, and his next-door neighbor. When I see Bill, I feel good knowing he is next door, that I can trust him, and I hope that he can trust me.

Bill has a wonderful family, with a beautiful wife, and two beautiful children. His son is now as tall as a skyscraper, respectful, and will probably be like his Dad. I hope so, because he has a chance to be liked by all. Bill has a beautiful little girl, who is cute as a button, and charming. And Bill’s wife is a very generous and sweet lady, who sends over cookies that she’s made at Christmas time, for all the neighbors.

The first time I met Bill, it was a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in late fall. I can’t tell you how many years ago, but it was many. He looked like Saint Christopher, with his son William who was wearing a Mets cap, on his shoulders, and with a beard covering his face, as he knocked on the fence door to my back yard. My yard was full of leaves, as I was raking them, in the cold and damp darkening afternoon about 4: 30 pm. He and I have this running joke in the winter as I shovel snow. He says “it never ends,” and I say, “at least it isn’t leaves, they don’t melt”.

If I’m working outside, and he sees me, he comes over to offer a tool that he owns, and that will make my life easier. Now Bill takes pride in his tools, he has one for all occasions, go over ask, and before you end your sentence, he has a tool out for you to borrow. Now in the winter, Bill treated himself to a large snow blower, the kind that would clear a runway at an airport. He does his walkway and driveway, then comes over and does mine and some of the neighbors. If I were to sell my house, which I would never do, Bill would be listed along with all the other things I would consider as assets to selling the place.

Thanks Bill, You’re the best.

No comments: