Sunday, April 16, 2006

HEY! HAPPY EASTER BABY!

To anyone who is reading this I say, Happy Easter!!

Yes, that magical time of the year, when spring has sprung, and the birdies sing, the flowers blossom and baseball is for real. The ice season is over, and soon they will pull the plug on the knicks.

But the Easter season has always given me a sense of renewal, re-birth, and just a good memory. There lives in my daughters home a fellow by the name of Paul. Paul is a fellow that doesn’t speak, and sits by himself. He is about 40 years of age, and will not look you straight in the eye. He can appear to be very hostile, and does not acknowledge that you are even there. It was on an Easter Sunday, a few years ago that I went to pick up my daughter Ellen to bring her home for Easter dinner. I decided that I was going to try to get Paul’s attention. I learned a lesson in a hurry. I went over to where he was sitting, kneeled down and leaned into his face, and said “Hello Paul, How’s it going?” Paul was sitting Indian fashion on his chair, his legs intertwined and he was in his undershirt, with evidence of his last meal clearly shown. Paul looked at me, and kissed the side of my face. If I ever felt like I did something worthwhile, it was then, as it taught me that the old adage IS true, you can’t tell a book by it’s cover.

So if I may, I would like to use a word that the Jewish people use , it is Chanukkah, or rededication to the rites of spring and the day of Easter, which is meant with no disrespect to Judaism.

Happy Easter, or as my grandmother used to say “A Appy East.

No comments: