Wednesday, July 25, 2012

$2.75 AND SUGAR


While in Cape May, we decided to go to breakfast one morning. We were with the tourist crowd, so we knew things would be a little expensive. I picked up menu, and looked at the coffee, and then the price. I looked again at the word ‘coffee’ and then the price once again. Not believing what I was seeing, I took my napkin and lined the edge up under the word ‘coffee’ and under the price. I was not misreading anything, the price for a cup of coffee was: $2.75!

I call the waiter over, a nice young man, maybe working at a summer job while in college, and ask:

“Where was the coffee imported from?”
“I dunno?”
“Well, how is it made?”
“I dunno? Everybody asks me that!”
“Does this come with milk or sugar, or is all that extra?”
“Huh?”
“I’ll tell you what, let me have your coffee, and a side order of a couple of pancakes with sausage.”
“???”
“And do I get to keep the mug?”
“???”

Off goes Garcon to place my very expensive order.

Coming back, he places this very ordinary white mug with coffee down in front of me. I look at the cup: smell it and it smells just like regular coffee, not a $2.75 cup. I look at his hands: no white gloves, I get a little annoyed, then realize, it must be in the taste.

He leaves and I reach for the milk and when no one is looking, pour it into my coffee, hoping they don’t charge for it.

I remember when I could get a plate of pancakes and sausage for $2.75 with coffee!

Oh, the total costs of the breakfast-I have two more payments and I should be done.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I hope you stole all the Sweet 'n Low!

Anonymous said...

They have to keep up with Starbucks! I hope it came with free refills. I LOVE coffee but at a diner it should be a buck and free refills. Give me home perked any day of the week. B.T.