Saturday, July 28, 2012

A LITTLE SLICE OF HEAVEN


Somewhere in this world is a little bit of heaven, maybe even a slice of heaven as they say. In it is where people go to be happy, enjoy life and renew their spirits. It is the place that makes not only me, but three other people very dear to me happy, too.

Cape May sits on the tip of New Jersey, forming the very end of the Garden State Parkway, Exit 0 and the very end of your everyday cares. Once you are there, you are transported to another world, one that is never intruded on by your own reality. It is here in this wonderful world of Cape May that you can forget who you are, but not who you want to be.

It is in this special place that my older sister Tessie, (much older) took her husband John to get away from the world of cancer and pulmonary fibrosis and spent a few days with TLW (The Little Woman) and me to purge their spirits from the those issues and love life once again. They walked away very happy!

Probably the best time I have had in a long time was spent with these three special people. We talked, laughed and made fun of ourselves, we joked, asked questions about our lives and enjoyed some of the great simple pleasures of life. Special nights were spent on the porch in rocking chairs sipping cocktails and watching the sun, setting into the horizon as my older sister Tessie (much older), TLW and John and I sipped and enjoyed our drinks, waiting for dinner time.

They were evenings when we went to restaurants that provided great culinary surprises, lasting memories and dining pleasure reserved for those with no cares in the world.

Cape May is a place where happy faces grace the streets, form lines for gelato and fudge, or maybe taffy is your pleasure. It is a place where you can sit on a bench along the boardwalk and read the latest clever t-shirts, watch lovers stroll hand –hand and hear laughter at an opposite table in the dining room of my favorite eatery, Aleathea's.




3 comments:

Michele DePalo said...

Sounds heavenly. We'll have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I spent nine weeks in Cape May during the summer of 1976, and I didn't find the accommodations all that nice, the food wasn't so hot, and we weren't allowed to lounge around on the porch and watch the sunsets. Maybe because I stayed on the grounds of Coast Guard Training Center Cape May, otherwise known at BOOT CAMP! I have been back since, and things have improved greatly! I didn't have to do a single push up and no one called me a f***ing puke once!

Anonymous said...

The previous comment was from #1 Son's father-in-law and the Dad of TLC, Roger Hyde.