Monday, July 16, 2012

HAVING YOUR LUNCH HOUR AND EATING IT TOO


Many years ago, when I was part of the work force and a diligent father and husband, just starting out in the business world, I would make a weekly journey to the bank to deposit my paycheck on Friday’s. This made TLW (The Little Woman) so happy. I deposited and she extracted, it worked well and we were a happy cozy family. However-

Little did she know how difficult it was to deposit my check! Going on your lunch hour was a problem: the people who worked at the bank were on their lunch hour! I would get in the bank, get on a long line and wait for the two tellers to service 40,000,000 people. That was on a quiet Friday.

So the other day, TLW brought up the subject of check cashers on a Friday lunch hour.

TLW: “People think that they can come into the Wanna-Be-Bank & Truss Company on a lunch hour and cash a check!”

“How inconsiderate!”

“Don’t they know WE have to have lunch too? Once a customer complained that we were shorthanded and SHE was on her lunch hour!”

“How inconsiderate!”

“What do you think? Aren’t the tellers entitled to lunch too? They come in at 8:00 AM every day and they shouldn’t get lunch? What do you think?”

“Weeeeellll, you are a service, you do cater to your customers, no? If they come in at the lunch hour of noon to 1:00 pm, shouldn’t you have people there?”

“But we have to have lunch too!”

“Yes, true, but how many tellers do you have?”

“12”

“So why don’t you have 6 tellers available at 12 noon? That is when your members need them most. Aren’t you supposed to make them happy?”

“Joe, look at me-shut up.”

1 comment:

Princess Pat said...

As a teller, maybe next time u come
in let me know and I'll hold off
on taking a lunch. If I look dehydrated and hungry maybe you can
throw me a crumb or two.