Sunday, July 15, 2012

WHEN IT GOES BAD IT GETS WORSE


It was TLW’s (The Little Woman’s) birthday, and I was feeling good about that, she is healthy and still talking to me, so why not be happy? It was also the day I was scheduled to go to the cardiologist for the test and that was preying on my mind.

I went through the testing and took the first set of pictures like I had mentioned in yesterday’s blogue, when the technician said I should go out and wait for about a half hour, when he would call me in for the final picture taking. I was feeling lousy, I was hungry, thirsty and had this headache, and in a lousy mood by then, 10:00 am.

I go out and sit in the waiting room, read a book and watch a Jack Nicholson movie on the TV that is so loud I could probably hear it in the parking lot two stories down. I look at my watch and it is 10:30, then 11:00, then 11:30, I get up and go to the receptionist. She sees me coming and looks like she knows I’m upset. Usually she is arrogant and self-assured, but she wasn’t either one at this point.

“Yes?”
“The technician said a half hour, it’s more than that.”
“I don’t like to disturb them, they will let you know.”
“Disturb him-it’s been an hour and a half, if you don’t wish to I’ll leave right now!”

She picks up the phone and he comes for me. We are done and I leave, starving, with a headache and a great need for a cup of coffee. As I am driving I come to the first place that will accommodate me, a Wendy’s. It is lunchtime and crowded, and I’m in no mood. I want my coffee and my mommy. I scan the menu and a young enthusiastic man takes my order with great efficiency, I ask for an asiago grilled chicken club and a cup of coffee. I wait a few minutes and the order is ready and I find a nice little spot for one. I sit and open the sandwich, take one bite and my temper reaches new heights. THERE IS NO CHEESE IN THE DAMNED SANDWICH, OR ANYTHING THAT RESEMBLES A CLUB SANDWICH!

Very calmly I march back to the counter, and show the young man the sandwich and the receipt. He looks at it and takes it to the young lady who prepared it. He actually scolds her while I look at my coffee across the way, waiting to make me happy. I have to leave it there to hold my table. The young man returns and I have the proper sandwich.

It seems that when things go wrong, they continue to go wrong. I go to dinner with TLW. The place is the popular Cull House. One of my favorite things on the menu is a calamari appetizer that should be a main course. It is made with hot cherry peppers and balsamic reductions, and fried. (Yes, after the doctor’s office AND the chicken sandwich) I order a beer and for the main course, scallops. TLW orders Shrimp Francaise, which should NEVER come with pasta. The waitress asks her if she wants penne or linguine with the shrimp.

The place is getting noisy, crowded and hot, there is NO A.C. in the place! The appetizer is great, then the dinners come.

Did you ever expect to eat something that has fired up your imagination, only to taste it and say: Is that all there is to this? That was the scallops! They were small tiny scallops with a watery base and powdered breadcrumbs and tasted like fish. They weren’t fresh.

TLW asks how my dish is and I say: “fishy!”
She says hers isn’t so good either. Her shrimp are coming apart from the coating, the sauce is all watery and this is disappointment of the highest order.

And that all in one day!

No comments: