Wednesday, March 26, 2014

“NOW DON’T LOSE THIS ONE!”



“There will come a time you’ll see
With no more tears.
When love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears.

Get over your hill
And see what you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair.”

The greatest baseball fan I know!
It was a cold November day, the clouds held overhead in a thick slab like layer of dense moisture and the cold held a promise of what was to come. The grayness that day was so complete that one would want to flee to the warm confines of the deep south and the warmth of a almost tropical day.

I stood outside in front of my home, on this Thanksgiving and felt the chill as if like osmosis it managed to weave itself into my bones. Suddenly the side door opened and out came the greatest baseball fan I ever have known. Suddenly the sun was out, the birds were signing their song and the grass, like a fine manicured infield was green as any field of dreams could hold. In his hand was a glove that he possessed, his prized possession: palm up and in the pocket a baseball!

''When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry.'' - William Shakespeare

I still have the hat after all these years!
Once he sat in the back of my station wagon, in his car seat along side his sister. It was after Christmas and he was maybe three years of age if that, and had given me a denim peaked hat for a Christmas present. Shamefully I lost it somewhere and missed it. He once again got me another, I’m sure with Mamma’s help. As I was driving, I mentioned how happy I was to have another: and he said: “NOW DON’T LOSE THIS ONE!”

There was another winter day, when he learned that he needed to defend himself that the world, no matter how trusting and serene it may seem, will turn on you if you get in the way. A young man who lived across from Anthony, maybe in his pre-teens and a few pounds matched by a few years older decided to bully him. He came home upset that he was pushed and complained to his father. His father recognized himself in his son, the anger, the need to respond and told him to go out and not ever take it. He went out and the last I looked, was swinging away, the bully retreating.

“It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a real father”

Then many years later, high up in the stands of The University of North Carolina, as he and I settled in to watch the Tar Heels of UNC take on the North Carolina Cardinals in a football rivalry, a drunk was loose and annoying people. No one wanted to deal with him, no one except the greatest baseball fan I have ever known. With sternness and conviction told the guy he needed to sit down, which the drunk did.

So far, his greatest achievement!
And now he heads into fatherhood for the first time, with all the tools he needs, belief in himself, conviction in his motives, a husband who I hope knows how to cherish for a lifetime. Today is his birthday, his job… to help make people laugh, how wonderful. He can take the time out perhaps today, and under the shade of the California Palm trees, reflect how far he has gone, a great education, and beautiful and intelligent wife, and soon to become a dad and the road yet to travel and give himself a pat on the back and say: “Job well done”.

Truly, it is a job well done!

Happy Birthday old man, touch a palm tree!

Love,
Mom and Dad.

“There are buyers and sellers in this world, I pray my children are sellers, and never buyers.”
Joe Del Broccolo

No comments: