Thursday, March 20, 2014

SILVER GIRL


Today is someone specials birthday. She is the queen of my life, the reason to live for and die. She is my baby, my daughter Ellen Mary.

When I first heard from the doctor that TLW (The Little Woman) was having a child, my first, I was very proud, very hope filled and strutted about, like any new father to be, this was a wonderful event, a culmination of my marriage and seal of our love.

Then one day something happened, little Ellen was not going to be ‘normal’, but a child of special needs. In those days the term was ‘retarded’, not necessarily a vicious term in itself, but certainly deadly when applied to a human’s life and used as an insult to someone.

In the years that followed, after extensive tests and counseling, therapy and hard work, TLW and I were resigned to a life of struggle for Ellen, and the sadness that would follow. The stares and looks and even giggles of little children because of little Ellen’s behavior, impacted our hearts and souls, causing pain and grief. There was criticism of how we were raising our daughter, and it seemed they all had a better plan, after all they knew better. But we followed our hearts, three hearts on a lonely path, and seemingly walking backwards in time.

When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all

But it wasn’t TLW’s or my life we cried for, but little Ellen’s. We saw the frustration and tears of a little girl with no crime committed, but being burdened by the physical and mental anguish that accompanies too many people in this world of special needs.

I'm on your side
When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

As the years went on and she grew to a young woman, we realized we were getting older and she needed a future, something we were not going to be able to provide her with, so I went and tried to get involved in AHRC Suffolk, offering my services as an artist to the agency for free, instead I was offered a chance to really make things worthwhile, a seat on the Board of Directors, where my outlook suddenly took on more than just my daughter. I had an agenda which included anyone with a disability, and I was eager to do my part.

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you

Suddenly I was advocating not just for Ellen, but for all my new found friends, for all the children and adults that were vulnerable to the slings and ashes of a very mean world at times, and found not only these wonderful people to love, but some really great comrades at arms who sat around that table with me once a month on a Tuesday evening.

I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

And so today she is happy. She spends her time with her peers and enjoys her life. We in turn have learned to adjust to her being away form home, but know she is happy and adjusted. She is always happy to see us, but wants her home too.

Sail on Silver Girl,
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way

Today is her special day, her birthday and she is reaching middle age as we her parents are leaving it.

See how they shine
If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETHEART, MOMMY AND DADDY LOVE YOU.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Nice blogue. Happy Birthday, Ellen!

-#1 Son