Tuesday, May 28, 2019

THE CHANGING OF THE GARB!

Yesterday, I visited my daughter Ellen at the ICU in St. Charles Hospital. As is customary, I usually walk into the room and greet Ellen who ignores my cheerfulness and looks at me like she wants to kill me for looking so happy.

As I ventured to the room entry I read the new rules that TLW (The Little Woman) spoke of the night before when she came home after visiting Ellen.

“You have to now don a gown and gloves when you visit Ellen!” she stated so authoritatively, as she does so well.

So, I look at the sign posted on the wall outside her room. I was clear, gowns and gloves… FOR THE STAFF! Visitors need only clean their hands! What a relief! If you ever wore one of those gowns you know how they can stick to your bare arms and the plastic does not breathe so it makes one sweat! Good thing I read the sign, no sense making Mr. Del Bloggolo unhappy!

Then, just like that, my good fortune turned sour! Yes, TLW showed up while I was away in the toilet and when I returned there she was, in gown and gloves! “You have to wear a gown and gloves!” she once again instructed me. This, of course, was my chance to explain, NO! I read the sign carefully and it does not require MY wearing of a gown or gloves! We went back and forth until I realized after all these years of being married to a former Catholic Elementary and High School student who follows all rules that it is pointless to argue with her when it comes to obedience. (Wish she would do that for me.)

After a while, a respiratory Technician came by to check my daughter’s oxygen level and complained about how hot it was in the room and how the gowns are uncomfortable. As she spoke I was busy peeling off the gown from my arms and finding new places to peel away as she spoke. But the lab tech agreed with me that I needn’t wear the gown and I ripped it off! There went 12 years of obedience for Sister TLW who looked at my sinfulness bemused. Torturing one’s husband must have been one of her courses at Seton Hall.

No comments: