Friday, January 03, 2020

I SO RESOLVE…

Every year millions of people make resolutions for the New Year. Every year millions of resolutions are broken within days or hours of them being made.

In my lifetime I made only one resolution that I kept, to stop smoking. As of January 1st, 1990, I stopped smoking and have not gone back on it since.

I picked a good time to resolve it was the beginning of the 1990s and a new year. I could easily measure how long it was and count off how far away I became from it. Today, 30-years later I am smoke-free! In 1991 my dad died of lung cancer from smoking. When I resolved I didn’t know he was sick from lung cancer so I can say it was a good move!

Before I knew it I was having trouble with people that smoked, the acrid odor seemed to turn me off and made me sick, leaving me wondering how I ever smoked, to begin with.

Starting the bad habit was easy, just have a friend who went to a seminary in high school who took it on and shared the experience with me by stealing his mother’s cigarettes and off to the woods we went to smoke. It was on Thanksgiving Day once upon a time in 1956. I got so sick I ran home to throw up my dinner.

I think that resolutions, to be kept need to have a target date that makes sense. Determination and willpower are part of it, but you do need it all. What was my reason for quitting smoking? I didn’t want to die at a young age, and I am glad I didn’t.

No comments: