Saturday, January 11, 2020

UP, UP, AND AWAY!

I walked into my daughter Ellen’s room this morning at the Medford Nursing home to find her in her usual sleeping mode. The blanket is over her head and the World is tuned out. This is an early sign that Daddy better watch his steps.

Ellen shares a room with another woman, a nice lady who is recovering from some issues. She is 85-years old and her family is heavily involved in her rehab. Her husband comes by most days and they eat lunch together and sometimes her two daughters show up, usually one at a time to visit and boss her around. Everyone gives her a lecture about what she should do and how to do it.

This morning at 7:30 A.M. I find her up and sitting in her wheelchair watching TV rather passively.

Me: Good morning!

Her: Good morning, how is it outside? Is it cold?

Me: No, it is quite nice out, like a spring day! What are you doing up so early?

Her: My family wants me up early, so I can have breakfast.

Me: But its only 7:30 AM, breakfast doesn’t come until 8:00!

Got me thinking of my own kids and what they might do. Since this poor lady is cosigned to a bed for most of the day with nowhere to go, what difference does it make for her to be out of bed so early?

My kids might want me to stay in bed, all day. Don’t get up today Dad, stay in bed, all day… if we need you we’ll let you know.

NAH!

Maybe not, but it would be a convenience if I was for me. Then no one would need to visit me since I am already here.

No comments: