Saturday, January 04, 2020

THE HUMBUG ROAD!

It is January 4th and I am traveling down my street where I live. It strikes me that there are homes with Christmas decorations still up! There should be a law or town ordinance that states you cannot have Christmas or Hanukkah decorations up on the 3rd of January and thereafter.

Yet people still have them up and as I drive I shout out at them: ‘GET OVER IT, ITS OVER! HUMBUG! BAH! BAH HUMBUG, AND THE MORE IRUDICT, GET OVER IT, YOU PROCRASTINATORS!”

That I don’t go to every house and knock on their doors is beyond me.

For me, hanging up Christmas decorations, Easter, or Halloween seems to be taking it a bit too far. If you want to revel in decorations, go to K-mart or Walmart or Walgreens or whatever, no need to sell for them.

If you decorate and wish to be original it ain’t gonna happen. Everyone has done what you did. Lining the walkway, eaves and sticking the trees is not original. Then there is the problem of taking them down. It is the day after New Years and it is cold, windy and icy. Your fingers are of no use to you since they are stiff and numb. You look at the task before you and realize you needed to stop with all this before it got out of hand, as you now realize it did.

So, you begin the arduous task of unpinning, unhooking, and undoing the strings of lights, letting the air out of all the stupid balloon characters that stare out into the cold day, and oh, don’t forget the motorcycle Santa with his tattoos and mean face, designed to scare all the little munchkins in the neighborhood.

When I was a nicer guy Christmas was a great holiday. Yes, I decorated outside but I knew my limits! One wreath was all I needed. I put up the tree, a fake one, and left all the decorations outside the front door. If someone was brave enough to come to visit, they were welcomed to reach into the box and pick an ornament to hang on the tree, PROVIDING THEY WERE WILLING TO COME BACK AFTER NEW YEAR’S DAY AND PUT IT BACK INTO THE BOX OUTSIDE. (There were papers provided to enforce this proviso) Putting the box away meant I had to get up, lift the box and toss it onto the shelf in the garage!

So, dear readers, if you still have your decorations up may I make this heartfelt plea to you: GET OVER IT, TAKE ‘EM DOWN, IT’S ALMOST JULY!    

No comments: