Wednesday, January 08, 2020

TRANSFORMATIONS

Long Island Newsday put out a special edition on the transformation of Long Island. What was once is not now, so it seems.

Looking back over the last 50 years or so, I have concluded that you can only maintain your balance for just so long, when modernization takes over and leaps above your capabilities, as you get older.

While in the business world I was one of those who choose to modernize my profession from a handcraft to a computer-oriented profession. I was trained to create all my ads by drawing them up on paper, using skills I developed to create a feel and sense of the subject matter. You tried to imitate type styles, draw photo images and use color to dramatize the mood.

Then along came computers to do what took you hours to develop and do it in moments! As I progressed through the years I had to adjust to new computer programs and learn newer methods until I retired, when I decided I was too tired of trying to keep up with the innovations that kept on appearing. The innovations were more time consuming than the creative side of my work.

Recently I went to my local supermarket. It has given the name supermarket a truer meaning. Once when I entered I knew where everything was. I could spot what I needed by instinct. Then another supermarket came to town and created a super-duper market, big, intimidating, complex and confusing. Along with that came the unfamiliarity of the layout and the logic that still escapes me as I peruse through it. This, of course, set my old market to imitating the new one so that it too became equally confusing.

Not only were there self-checkout (an old nemesis of mine) but hand-held scanners to take along the aisles as you shopped to read barcodes.

Today, when I get into my car, a 2019 model, I get all kinds of technologies that seem to guide me onto the freeway of life. GPS, driving grade, warning signals in mirrors, all I-phone dependent, all for an old guy who wants to slow it down a notch or two and take a nap.

My grandpa and dad never dealt with the technological innovations that I need to deal with to survive these days. Grandpa had his radio and newspapers, Dad had his TV, Radio, and newspapers and life were easy to maintain. Me, I have my TV, Radio, newspapers, I-phone, I-pad, laptop, and desk computers, all at my disposal with the encryptions and passwords that can drive me nuts. GPS, Cloud, Apple watches, etc. all designed to make life easy, yet has complicated my life to no ending in sight!

Pray for me.

No comments: