Friday, August 28, 2009

FINDING IT HARD TO BELIEVE

Once a little boy ran around my house. If I listen hard enough, I can still hear the echoes of those tiny footsteps. He was inventive, charming and fun to be around. At night, he would climb up on my lap, with a toy or some object, and ask me to explain it to him. “How does it work?” “Why does it need to be?”

It seemed like just about everyday that little boy had a toy instrument in his hands, playing it and having a grand old time, sometimes dancing as he did. And ever time I hear the theme played for the game show Jeopardy, I picture him standing in my den, his arms spread out, turning as the music played.

I remember those first days of school, standing in front of the house, year after year, posing with his friends, as we marked and remarked, about how tall he was getting,

Fatherhood is a sad thing, sometimes. As a father, you watch your children grow, and realize that time is passing you by, quickly!

As they grow, they become more distant. They hide away in life’s development, and don’t come out until they leave you. They won’t know to say “thank you” for all you did for them, but you don’t want them to. All the advice you give sometimes falls on deaf ears. When it does, the lessons they learn are more definite, better learned, they come from experience.

Now I see the last but not the least of my children, my youngest son, and the “baby” leaving for college. He will probably make a life for himself, which will be filled with new life experiences, and we will see him frequently, but only in our hearts.

He once complained that I made fun of him, and I did, but I only make fun of those I admire. Those I don’t admire, I ignore. I wish I could do more for him, but he needs to do for himself now. I fully expect and note his ability to do so. I have confidence in his compassion for others, and hope he with his intellect, will contribute to this world.

Good luck, #2 Son, we love you, and are proud of what you are doing, so we are proud of YOU.

Mom and Dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael,

Work hard, play hard and stay close to your family. Everything else will work itself out. Best wishes as you begin a new phase of life. Soak it all up.

Love,
Aunt Angela (the Sicilian)