Wednesday, August 05, 2009

FINDING TRUST

Last week, I went to a lab for a blood analysis. As I entered the office, there sitting on a chair was a heavy set woman, maybe in her 50’s who was leaning on a cane as she sat. I didn’t say anything, but sign in and sit down. The technician or receptionist was busy with someone in the other room, so I was prepared to wait.

The receptionist came out and said: “Next?” and the woman, who was very shoddily dressed and in some kind of pain looked at me and said: “You go ahead. I have to wait until this afternoon for a ride, anyway.” It was 7:45 AM!

I thanked the lady, did what I had to do and sat down in the waiting room. As the heavy-set woman went into the other room to give blood for a test, The receptionist came out and said: “Oh! We’re done, you can go, we will send the results to the lab and they will forward it to your doctor.” I said thank you but wished to wait for the lady.

After about 5 minutes, the lady returned, limping back into the waiting room and sat down.

“Excuse me”, I said as I walked over to her. “Could you use a ride home?” I figured she would decline, and I would have eased my conscience.

The woman studied me for a while, a perfect stranger, and brightened up. “Why thank you, but I don’t want to put you out.” I said that I was retired, and unless she lived in New Jersey or further, she would not be putting me out. She asked if I was sure. I reassured her and we both left for my car, a small SUV, a Hundai, Sante Fe, and I opened the front door, pulled back the seat and leaned it back a little. After a struggle for her to get in, I asked her where she lived and she directed me to her home, maybe less than a 2-minute drive.

The woman had much difficulty in walking, and was in obvious pain. She explained to me she was a widow, living on a small widow’s pension, and probably should have called a cab. She said that with the cost of everything, she saved the cab fare and was willing to wait until about 4:30, when her daughter would return from work.

Her home was a small ranch, maybe two bedrooms, in a poor section of Ronkonkoma, and in need of repair. I helped her out and again she thanked me, as I got back into my car. As I drove off, I wondered why she trusted me. I wear a beard, not a very fancy car, and she seemed so vulnerable. I know I felt saddened that she had to sacrifice her time to save a buck, and I guess that bothered me, too.

It’s funny! You come from nothing, and get a little lucky. You see someone with nothing, and you re-live those hungry days! I knew that at that moment, I felt like my dad, it was something he would do. I could almost feel his presence in that car.

Please remember my Polish brother-in-law, John, a guy that needs our prayers, and thinks that God is Polish, and all those that need our hopes and prayers.

5 comments:

Fran said...

That is something Dad would have done. You are so wonderful and I am so proud to say you are my brother! Love you and keep up the good deeds!
Love,
Fran ( Your way younger sister)

THERESA said...

JO-JO, That is exactly what Dad would have done, not even giving it a second thought. Like Fran, I
am always so proud to say you are my brother.
Love,
THERESA (WITHOUT A DOUBT, YOUR YOUNGER SISTER)

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

I don't know, I have my doubts.

Anonymous said...

Joe, damn, you made me cry again. There's a special place for you in Heaven ... yes ... I'm sure you'll make it there!

Glad you found Spin/(us) on Facebook. He's having so much fun with our new Mac. He tends to jibber-jabber, but that's ok!

Jan/PCH

Laura ESL Teacher said...

I just read your blog about the staff at the Haven where your daughter lives. You said so much about these wonderful people, but you are just like them! Not many would take time out of their own day to help someone in need. I think what goes around, comes around; when you receive so much kindness from others you are more inclined to to for others. You are lucky to both give and receive this gift.