Friday, August 07, 2009

AND I QUOTE…

It seems that TLW (The Little Woman) is an avid reader. She buys books in the mail, the Doubleday Book Club, and she buys them in stores like Borders, and she evens gets some out of the library. Lately she has gone to borrowing them from her look-a-like buddy, Lois, or Toots II, from the Wanna-Be Bank and Trust Company!

I really don’t mind her reading: it keeps her from reading from a honey-do list. However, I am starting to worry about her! She is starting to read out loud! Yes, and to top it all off, she is now reading to me. This is not “Tuesdays With Morey” but: Thursday Mornings With What’s His Face!

As I watch the TV news in the morning, she is reading her books. Suddenly my hearing starts to go, I reach for my hearing aids, turning up the volume in a struggle to suddenly hear Matt Lauer. But I soon notice the volume scale is running down on the screen. I look over, and there she is, with the remote in one hand, the book in the other. Here it comes, or, hear it comes. Either way, I’m gonna get it.

She asks; “Do you want to hear something?”

I don’t get the chance to respond to that option, she immediately starts to read, afraid that I may not live long enough not to hear it.

She reads, lifts the volume and turns her page, shaking her head.

As I recover, the volume goes down once again. With faked eager anticipation, I look over and await her new words of the moment. Again, she is NOT reading from a honey-do list, so what the hell, let it rip!

There was a day when she was younger, when she brought a book to bed. She would read until she fell asleep, with someone getting murdered on the TV, where now she does all that in her chair in the den. Oh, they still are dying on the TV, but in the den. My fear is that she will revisit the bedtime reading, and suddenly, the volume will recede, and she will read to me in her sleep!

Please remember to pray for my brother-in-law, John, the Polish polka king, and all those that need our prayers.

No comments: