Thursday, August 06, 2009

GETTING TO KNOW ME

I’ve been affiliated with AHRC Suffolk for over 20 years. A couple of years ago, they honored me with a lifetime membership award for my service to the agency. I’m not bragging, but amazed. I would think with all the great many board members we have: they would pick someone of substance! There are people that are past presidents of the board that have and still do contribute mightily. People who make a big contribution to the good of those we serve. There are committee members that help us oversee the workings of the agency, who bring in funds, who contribute ideas.

This year the agency recognized my 20 years of service, with a plaque, commemorating the event. O.K. I can see that, I guess ‘why not?’

I’m personally not big on recognizing volunteer work that I do. But, I guess to keep all interested: I do it so others will be encouraged to volunteer.

This week, they are publishing an article about me in their ‘Communicator, a newsletter for membership’ that asked a series of questions from a written interview. I answered them as best I could, explaining why I do these things for the agency. I feel strange doing it, and wished it didn’t happen, and now I am telling you! Why, because I want you to know about this place called AHRC, and all the places like it.

I want you to know about the people that service these agencies, or as I call them: “Havens”. These people live their lives like you and I do. Every day, with their own illnesses, worries about their own children, then go to work and do miracles. Yes, that is the word, ‘miracles’, they take the ordinary sadness of people like myself, and they manage the pain through their works, and I can sleep at night, and yes, even die, knowing that my daughter will live on in good care for the rest of her life!

Why would they salute someone like me? Why not salute the real people that make humanity good, by good works? Don’t you know what a burden is lifted from people’s shoulders who dedicate their lives for someone else. Have you ever studied the life of someone who is disabled, and cannot care for him or herself? Watch how they are confined to a wheel chair, or struggle to express themselves? See the confusion in their eyes, the dogged determination in their stance, and above all relief in their faces as someone lifts the burden. And who does that? The staff, the day treatment people, the administrator that manages a building or program, the clerk who fills out a form, or the social worker who helps manage a person’s life.

There is an event called: Staff Appreciation Day”, every April. It is a day that is dedicated to those that have been with the agency for increments of 5 years at a time. It is designed to honor those workers for their longevity and persistence. The problem is that staff themselves originated the day. I try to attend this event every year, to let them know how much I appreciate their service, and how much I love them all. I think that the parents and siblings of those the staff serves should organize the day. It should be a heartfelt ‘Thank you.’

I think the Communicator should be interviewing staff members. People that do the work, deal with feeding people who can’t master the art of chewing or digestion very well. They should ask the questions that need to be answered by staff that are so dedicated that they assist in toileting, a job that no one should have to do, yet they do it. Ask them how they come to be so dedicated, have a smile on their faces, and yet put up with cranky parents and siblings who think everything is coming to them.

Please remember my brother-in-law John, a closet opera singer, and all those that need our hopes and prayers.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Congratulations Joseph, in spite of your attempts to downplay the good things you do, they are recognizing you for a reason. I also applaud your standing up for the dedicated people who day in and day out help those who can't always help themselves. These good people are all booked on the fast track express to Heaven, and I know there will be a ticket for you too. No rush though...still a lot of good for you to do down here.