Thursday, August 20, 2009

THOSE WERE THE DAYS Part-II

The class was rowdy, and that is the nicest thing I can say about it. The instructor, a Korean immigrant named Mr. Ahn, presided over “Introduction to Design II” with a calm and self-assurance that said: “I will survive.” It was my second semester, and we were housed in temporary classrooms in the Syosset Medical Arts building. Next to me was a wise cracking, happy go lucky guy, sitting in his drawing table, striking up a conversation with me. It was instant pal! That was January 1965, and we still see and speak to each other after all these years!

Phil was an aspiring artist like myself, who wanted nothing to do but eat Italian bread. The more he could carry in his pockets, the better. If he ever robbed a bank, he would give himself away because of the crumbs! He was also a godsend to me. Often he would pick me up at the train station, and off to class we would go. That is, if he woke up on time. Many times he didn’t!

Many days we would go to class, get hungry and if we had any money, go to an Italian restaurant called Christiano’s, near the train station. There Phil would fill his pockets with bread and off to a painting class we would go, bread in both his and my coat pockets, which I fed him, all too often.



One morning, I had some extra money and went to a restaurant in the Syosset Hospital. Who do I see there but Mr. Ahn, eating breakfast at the counter. He orders scrambled eggs, and I do too. But wait a minute; he’s putting ketchup on his eggs! Being a darn fool that I am, I try it, and haven’t stopped in 44 years!

One day, Mr. Kupris, my advertising design instructor announced he had a house in Hicksville, and was renting it to students for the semester; I jumped at the chance and moved out of my folk’s house for the duration of the semester. Having worked that summer, I had saved enough to pay for school and the room. Phil would meet me every morning and we drove to school together. IT MEANT NO MORE RISING AT 4:30 AM!

I was now sleeping regular hours, building new friendships with the guys in the house, and making even prettier friends from the Grace Airline stewardess’ school down the road! Life was good!

Tomorrow: The world comes undone.

Please remember my brother-in-law John, the next Polish Pope, who once pitched a no-hitter against the nuns, and all those that need hopes and our prayers.

No comments: