Wednesday, August 26, 2009

THE ASIAN

It’s a long way from (New York) to Denver
It’s a long time to hang in the sky
It’s a long way home to Starwood in Aspen
A sweet Rocky Mountain paradise
Oh, my sweet Rocky Mountain paradise

The plane filled up for the flight to Denver Colorado, which would connect us to a flight to Steamboatsprings, Colorado. Sitting in my aisle seat I took out my Sudoku book for the long flight. The plane took off, and I pulled down my tray table to rest the book. Suddenly, the seat in front of me shot backward, almost into my chest. I was now nose to nose with a young Asian girl, probably on her way to the Fareast.

Springtime is rollin’ ‘round slowly
Grey skies are bringin’ me down
I can’t remember when I’ve ever been so lonely
I forgot what it’s like to be home
Can’t remember what it’s like to be home

We could do either of two things. We could kiss, or she could move her chair rest upward slightly. She was not about to do either, for the next 3 and ½ hours, but make me uncomfortable, while SHE rested, stretched out.

But I think on my lady’s sweet memories
I think on my children’s sweet smiles
I think on my home in Starwood in Aspen
All my friends and the snow covered hills
Oh, my friends are the snow covered hills

In my cramped condition, I started to plot my revenge. This was not about racism all you bleeding hearts; this was about space, my space.


And I tell you I’m happy to be here
To share and consider this time
For I see here the shadows of changes
And a feeling of new friends to find
And I see here some new friends to find

As I plotted, my plan materialized! She was dozing off! Perfect! Slowly her head drifted to her left, as she fell into sleep, well, almost. Once her head rested, I shot a quick jab into the top of her headrest. She jerked up, and leaned back. I waited, slowly her head rolled to the right, drifting into another short nap. Like a cobra, I lunged forward, a quick jiggle of her headrest! Up her head moved, like a rocket! My antics were becoming fun! This was sweet! One more time her head rolled, and one more time, I struck! Up, up, up she jumped, could I do this all the way to Denver? You bet!

But it’s a long way from this place to Denver
It’s a long time to hang in the sky
It’s a long way home to Starwood in Aspen
A sweet Rocky Mountain paradise
Oh, my sweet Rocky Mountain paradise

Suddenly, a new opportunity presented itself! The stewardess’ were moving up and down the aisle, and every time one would past the Asian gal’s seat, I would snap her headrest. The girl would pop awake, and see what she thought was what woke her up, the stewardess. Soon a little girl and her little brother began passing to use the toilet, snap, snap, she jumped! Oh, this was so amusing! My mother would be chagrinned by my childish behavior, so I knew it was fun. I tried not to let TLW (The Little Woman) catch my antics, since she would not be happy with me either.

Then, opportunity really knocked! TLW wanted to use the rest room. Yes! The rest room! This meant that I needed to get up, and that meant that I was in my rights to have to pull on the seat in front of me to allow myself the chance to get into the aisle, I was so cramped in! With both hands, I swiftly grabbed the headrest, pulled down hard and got up, letting go of the headrest and launching the Asian girl, practically into the cockpit. The gal was almost standing: as she turned to give me the dirtiest look, which TLW caught! I had recruited an ally! I bumped the chair to get back in, and waited for TLW to return. The Asian gal still did not get it. Back came TLW and up I bounced, bumping the headrest and once again, Miss Tokyo was standing up, eyes glazed and face pointed at me. I was doing what I love best, teasing someone!

Off to sleep she almost went, as I continued my fun, slow roll of the head, a little nudge of her headrest and her being disturbed out of her sleep. I couldn’t do anything else in that seat, since there was no room to move, so someone was going to pay, all the way to Denver. When we landed, I noticed, I hadn’t entered one number in the Sudoku puzzle!

Green Lyrics by John Denver

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds frustrating! Just one question: why does it matter that she was Asian? Did that affect the story in any way? Please explain.

#1 son

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Dear #1 Son,
Your question confuses me. If I am telling a story, I want my reader to not only know, but 'see' what I am saying. I like to paint a complete picture, leave no doubts or caused confusion as to details. Was it the reference to 'liberalism?'

Anonymous said...

So, are you telling me that if she had been a white girl, you would have consistently referred to her as "the white girl" or "the caucasian?" Would you have titled this piece, "The White Girl"? After all, you are trying to help me 'see'.

Telling me someone is asian, or jewish, or caucasian doesn't tell me anything at all beyond the shape of their eyes. If you were actually painting a "complete picture", you would have told me what hairstyle she had, the shirt she had on. Was she tall? Short? Did she have long hair or short hair? I am, however, assuming she MUST have been Japanese otherwise you wouldn't have referred to her as "Miss Tokyo."

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Well, I never offered, you asked. But would I tell you how she dressed or how tall she is? No, because the space is too short for a novel even for #1 Son.

Laura ESL Teacher said...

I LOVE IT! I don't understand why they even allow those stupid plane sits to recline, since the reliner is always smack right in the passenger's lap behind them. I would have gotten the same immense pleasure from tormenting her...muuuuahhhhhhh!

Steve Philp said...

My wife and I always joke about performing dental work on people when they recline the seat.

A knee into the middle of the seatback works well, too. Maybe not with the tray down. But, putting the tray up, then letting it drop back down every few minutes would probably work too.

Yep, HATE people who recline their seats.

Mary Ann said...

Joe, If ever you are on a flight I am working...I'll give you all the Jack Daniels you want, if you don't mention we are related!! lol