Tuesday, August 25, 2009

PAPOOSE


When Johnny Jones was serenading Mary,
He sure could quote a lot of poetry
But he'd much rather tell her
what he learned in his speller
When they both attended PS thirty-three....


The so-called ‘music’ coming from the computer got me to thinking, and I did what I usually don’t do. I’m sorry, I just couldn’t help myself, #2 Son was listening to the beat and moving to the beat and I just had to ask him the question.

"A," you're adorable, "B," you're so beautiful, "C," you're a cutie full of charms. "D," you're a darling and "E," you're exciting And "F," you're a feather in my arms.

“WHY are you listening to that?” It occurred to me that it was more like punishment, and how could you understand the lyrics?

Son #2: “You see Dad, that the difference in our generation.”

I had heard of the “Generation gap” and even read about it at one time. I think I was even on the other end of it back in the ‘60’s. Determined to be enlightened, and inquisitively I pressed on.

“What make you motivated to want to hear that?

#2: “That’s Papoose!”

Me; “Huh?”

#2: “Papoose.” He stated matter-of-factly.

Me: ?? “P-a-p…

#2: “P-a-p-o-o-s-e”

Me: “Like a papoose? What is he an Indian?”

#2: “Yup, a Native American, the greatest poet who ever lived!”

Me: Wondering in awe, how anybody could tell. “How do you know that? I can’t understand him!’

#2: “That’s right, you have to listen very carefully. He’s a better poet than my professors in school! I like Keats and Frost and all those guys, but he’s even greater! He takes every letter of the alphabet that his caretaker gives him, and makes words, "A", "B", "C" and so on!”

"G," you look good to me, "H," you're so heavenly, "I," you're the one I idolize. "J," we're like Jack and Jill, "K," you're so kissable, "L," is the lovelight in your eyes.

I was starting to get a headache, a twitch was starting to develop, my nose starting running, and I was now chewing on my elbow, thinking: “I don’t feel so good.”

"M," "N," "O," "P," I could go on all day. "Q," "R," "S," "T," alphabetically speaking, you're OK.

Suddenly TLW arrived from shopping (what else?) and inquired: “What is that?”

Me: “Why that’s Papoose!, the greatest living poet of all time!”

TLW: “Oh! Suddenly she started to get a headache, a twitch was starting to develop, her nose started running, and was now chewing on her elbow, thinking: “I don’t feel so good.”

U," made my life complete, "V," means you're very sweet, Double-"U" "X" "Y" "Zee." It's fun to wander through the alphabet with you To tell you what you mean to me.

I have a question dear reader. Have you ever heard a song from the past that gets you into a romantic mood of nostalgic proportions: that carries you down memory lane, every time you hear a certain song from you past? How the hell is #2 going to get that from those “Lyrics”?

Well, Dad wanted to know the same darn thing from me over 40 years ago, he didn't understand either.

2 comments:

Laura ESL Teacher said...

My Dad used to sing that song to me when I was little, and both he and I sang it to Ava when she was a baby. We have a book of the song with illustrations and we take it out sometimes and read it to Ava at bedtime. She still laughs like crazy. I don't know who Papoose is, but I am sure I like A You're Adorable much better!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

So do I. Next time your Dad and I meet, I'd love to meet you and Ava and Dad.