Sunday, December 20, 2009

IT DOESN’T COMPUTE!


I never thought that I would become so dependant on a computer! I am presently using TLW’s (The Little Woman’s) laptop to write this because my G5 Mac is in the repair shop. I have a lot of stuff I need to do, and I am hand tied by the lack of the files I need.

I used to survive each day without such a thing as a computer, and now I feel naked and unsure. (Maybe, if I put on some clothing, I won’t feel that way.)

So at the mercy of the technicians, I humbly go to see what they can do for my babies. I have a laptop I gave them to work on also. These guys are acting like they work for the oncology department at North Shore University Hospital.

Me: When will I get my computer back do you think?
Them: Well, as you may know, being it is a Mac, we need to do extensive diagnostic testing. This procedure usually takes a while, then, once we locate the problem, we need to see if we can fix it, if we can, do we have the necessary parts? If not, we need to order them, which will take a few days, weeks, or even years! You understand how those things go.”

Actually, no I don’t. I’ve never held anyone up before without a gun, but I’ll try to understand.

It gets ridiculous, in that I’ve partnered my life with a piece of electronics! I guess it is a lot like not having a car or TV suddenly. I can send TLW off to visit her family, but not my computer. Besides, the computer doesn’t make observations about me, out loud.

No comments: