Sunday, October 10, 2010

AUNT ELSIE GOT IT RIGHT!

10/10/10

I was reading the newspapers the other day, when I came across an article about President Obama’s idea of extending the school year a month more. He feels and I agree, that we are lagging behind as a nation in teaching our children.


I have been a proponent of this concept when #1 Son started his first summer vacation from Kindergarten. Being ever vigilant of the education system in this great land of ours, I felt the strong need for one more month of peace, I mean education for the kids. It seems the children in Germany and Japan and other economic powerhouses are all ahead of us in this area, their children know so much more!

Turning to TLW (The Little Woman) I mentioned the article, stating the President’s position. TLW replied that she felt it was too late for that. Our kids are all out of the school system by now, so once again: we get screwed! Recalling years ago, she mentioned her Aunt Elsie, a devote Catholic and her Dad’s sister. Aunt Elsie was a sweet lady who had to raise 8 children by herself, because her husband passed on at a young age. She once told her brother in front of TLW: “Jim, I’d be all for birth control, if they made it retroactive!”

I guess I kind of felt that way too about the President’s ideas on the length of school years!

No comments: